Home Made Lens On Speed Graphic

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Steve S, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Steve S

Steve S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not the first to have done this and I'm sure I won't be the last but it was fun and I intend to try a few more shots with it. I had a lens from an old desk magnifier and a brass barrel which just happened to fit it perfectly. So a spot of glue and a Speed graphic lens board later I was in business. The focal length worked out at around 8 inches which meant a working aperture of f4. Because this wasn't going to be the best corrected of lenses I felt that a lens hood would be a mandatory accessory. I am very proud of my low tech solution. The image was made on Wephota Ortho film f4 at 15th sec and developed in Fotospeed FD10 for 6 minutes.

Attached Files:

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice! I got a Speed Graphic not long ago to use with some old brass barrel lenses I've picked up. Such fun stuff. Now to finally find the time to use it more!

I like your custom hood too. You should sell them on eBay!

3. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow, that lens is sweet! Go do some portraits with it!

Could you make me one of those lens hoods?

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the Tuna Chunks lens hood. Are those available from B&H?:D

Very nice!

5. Dan Quan

Dan Quan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW! Is that an original Stevotar?

Pretty cool!

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oooh dreamy....

7. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Steve;
    What is the viewfinder that you have mounted on the Speed Graphic? Very interesting, Steven.

8. Steve S

Steve S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the idea of selling Tuna Chunks lens hoods on Ebay however I may limited to two lengths and one width fitting unless I change supermarket!
    As for naming the lens I like this idea. My surname is Salmons so I really like the sound of 'Samovar'.
    Interesting you should ask about the finder Steven. I have never come across one like this before and it was a contributing reason for buying the camera which was an impulse buy from a dealer I know. When he showed me the camera and I looked through the finder the image was very blurred. He agreed. Almost by chance I tried without my glasses on and hey presto, a lovely clear image. So obviously the finder has a fixed dioptre correction and equally obviously I was meant to buy it.
    That said it is not a perfect framing for 5x4 having the width of a 150mm coverage but the height of a 180mm coverage.

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just my style! Keep it up.

10. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the tuna can hood too. You can increase contrast/quality further if you recess the lens in the tube and line the inside of the tuna can and barrel black. That gray finish in the tuna can is making lots of general flare. If it's not convenient to recess things, blacking the interior will be the best bang for the buck.

11. mdarnton

mdarnton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nice photo. I did something similar once with a lens on my Nikon bellows, but as a 150mm on 35mm the image didn't have the close lovely presence yours does.

Maybe you should be making the hood from a Salmon can, then? Trademark already printed for you.

12. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gotta love them graflexes. Is it just a simple convex lens?

13. Steve S

Steve S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe you should be making the hood from a Salmon can, then? Trademark already printed for you.
    Love it ! Why didn't I think of that? However it could take a while to ramp up production so don't be too quick in putting Tuna or Salmon into your Photographic favourite searches on Ebay.
    I going to try some portraits this weekend subjects willing. I have some home made aluminium lens boards that need a coat of matt black paint so I will do the lens hood at the same time. The interior of the barrel is already blackened but I have no way of further recessing the lens into barrel.
    The lens is convex on one side and flat on the other. Contrary to normal practice I have mounted it with the convex side facing the film and the flat side facing the subject. No reason other than it wwas a better fit that way. However the effect I think will be for the peripheral rays to diverge rather than converge perhaps contributing to the light scatter at the edges of the image.

14. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Salmon lens hood, homemade price, $0.49

Salmon lens hood, B&H price $499.00

15. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Don't let the lens hoods get corroded otherwise some lunatic will confuse you with Salman Rushdie .