Hood alternitive for Canon QL17?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by ToddB, Jun 20, 2014.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I was looking the the Lens hood for my newly aquired Canon GII QL17. I'm not having much luck finding original hood. Is there an alternative hood that work on this camera? The rubber one I heard obscure the viewfinder, so that's out. Any suggestions?

Todd

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about cutting off a section from that rubber lens shade?

What about rolling one yourself from cardboard and cementing it to some apt filter-ring?
    Even better, making a rectangular one?

3. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestion on that however. I think that would look pretty lousy. Due to my lack of ability to have it look nice. Anyone else?

Todd

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're so vain...

5. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    cool

It's a cool-looking camera so I do not blame you.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ruber shades can also be cut off circular. Would look nicer but need even more skills to look nice.

I guess most old, metal, short shades of the right thread size would work. At least for the finder window, as these cameras were all similarly built.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  7. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was able to find one original Canon hood for my QL17 but unable to find a second one for my second camera. I was, however, able to find a generic metal hood on eBay. The generic hood works but obscures the viewfinder more than the original.

https://flic.kr/p/8XWY9C

Attached Files:

8. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ???

:confused:

Todd, this post from only eight days ago is from your recent thread regarding the same camera...

Ken

9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool.. I was looking into a 48mm-49mm stepup ring on amazon. They also have a truck load 49mm lens hoods made of metal. The hoods says made for Leica Sum lens. I guess 49mm is 49mm, it wouldn't matter if it was Leica or Canon. The only thing is the view finder cover over.

Todd

10. bernard_L

bernard_L Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Assuming you mean viewfinder obstruction. You can find on the Evil Site numerous Chinese stores that sell "vented and tilted" 49mm lens hoods, designed precisely to address that issue. And it is also easy to find a seller for a 48->49mm step up ring.

11. Todd Barlow

Todd Barlow Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My solution was:
    1) A 48 to 49mm step-up ring - $2
    2) a lens hood off of "the bay" with the following description "Metal 49mm Vented Curved Hood for Leica Leitz Lenses" - $8

Works well:
    1) No vignetting
    2) No flare
    3) Minimal interference with rangefinder
    4) Camera sits flat on the table (is not tilted backwards due to an oversized hood)

Best regards

Also Todd B (Barlow)

Attached Files:

12. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can make a wire rectangle to fit inside the front of a rubber shade to hold it in rectangular form. Measure the diameter of the inside front, calculate the circumference, then make a 2:3 aspect ratio rectangle of wire with the same perimeter length. Hey presto, a nice looking rectangular shade which will protect the front of the lens from bumps. :smile:

13. jadphoto

jadphoto Member

If you're stepping up to 49mm anyway I found a rectangular hood that works a treat. Slight blocking of viewfinder but not as bad as any round hood I've tried.

The one I have is from Hama, and it clamps to a 49mm filter. I think the vented hoods would also work well. The Hama will look more like the original.

JD

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That is a good idea!

As an alternative might serve a rubber shade Kaiser offer: it has two curved and two flat sides and is adjustable in relation to ist filter-ring. Looks neat, but is only availabled in 46mm thread. One might use step down rings, but that might lead to vignetting.

15. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a look at http://www.fotodioxpro.com/ I used one of their hoods on the 75mm for my Pentax 645. A square hood, it threaded onto the lens and then had a little thumbscrew to allow orienting it properly. Just a though, YMMV.

16. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This. Best solution IMO, a classic rangefinder hood for 10 bucks, and a solution to add filters in a common size to boot. Nice.

17. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thats what I landed up doing.. Is going through Amazon and getting step up 48-52 ring with Vented Hood.. Why 52mm? Cause I have a few nice filters I use for my FE, so I figured I could get more bang for buck If I could switch out filters between camera's.

18. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Pentax 49 mm lens hood for a ST 28mm 3.5, it is a slip on and will tighten down on the Canon Lens. A little wide for a 50mm, seems to work well. I also have a 48mm round lens good, clips the right lower bottom of the viewfinder, in most cases not an issue.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The down side of going to 52mm is that most likely the hood will be larger as well, so it will increase slightly the obstruction of the viewfinder image.

20. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was thinking about that.. I'm hoping that the tapered hood won't be a factor. I can alway exchange it if it doesn't work out. Amazon has a ton to choose from. I pick up the camera today form the shop. Baffle has been replaced. I just thought the hood accessory would be a practical and attractive emelishment to the QL17. I'll keep you guys posted.

Todd

21. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Side note: I got a email form my 92 year grandmother the other day and she said that she'll pay for a body case for it. Bless my grandmother.. She has no idea that the camera is 30 years old and coming across genuine body case for camera is almost impossible. I've looked. That camera was her pride and joy.

Todd

22. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got my hood and step up ring.. Perfect

Hey guys,

I just resieved my hood and step up ring for 52mm filter. This will work fine. It only covers a little of the lower right corner in viewfinder.. not a big deal. I pimped it out with a simple leather strap lying around. It really gives it a very attractive look to. Now I can use the filter from my FE I've been getting.

Todd