Hooked

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by andrewf, Apr 27, 2013.

1. andrewf

andrewf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Processed my first images from a 6x7 neg the other day and I really don't know how I'll ever be satisfied with 35mm again! The amount of detail in the print is unreal.

Medium format rules! :D

If only the RZ67 wasn't so heavy! It does make me look like I know what I'm doing though :wink:

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Andrew,

Be forewarned; the disease often progresses to involvement with LF.

Konical

3. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know what you mean.. I also have an RZ67 and was amazed at the detail in the prints.. I got hooked on printing 6x7 negatives.. You want to be amazed even more? Shoot and print 4x5! I got use to hand holding my RZ67 and the weight is no longer an issue..

4. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And there are plenty of enablers here to help you move to LF. :smile: And I agree, Andrew - it was using MF that kept me in the darkroom when digital started getting more popular.

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    and if you think 4x5 is amazing, try contact-printing from an ultra-large format negative (oh, say 11x14 or bigger)...

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love my RZ too. You can use RB lenses on that camera. I've had mine for close to 30 years and it getting heavier each year. If you're shooting with just a hood, wait until you try it with a prism. It's a whole new world.

7. Too old to care

Too old to care Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first MF was a Yashica 124 that I bought in 1969, never looked back. That inexpensive camera could blow the socks off 35mm.

8. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Do they still make film that small ? :tongue:

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love 6x7 also. I have an RB67 for a number of years now.

Jeff

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The size of the film, the camera itself, is only a small part of the process. Just having a larger negative doesn't automatically make a better picture.
    I have all size of format options available to me, but not every size or every camera in a size, have the same advantages. Choosing which camera/format/size is a result of what my expectations are for the combo.

I will say, all things being equal, I like larger negatives. JMHO

11. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    andrewf; glad you're enjoying it. The RZ is a great system; but do realize that it is one of the heaviest, bulkiest 6x7 cameras ever made.

Right now the lightest and most compact 6x7 I own is the Fuji GF670. Truly an amazing camera that is incredibly compact and light for a 6x7. And the optics are second to none!
    Anyway, enjoy your RZ and those lovely big negatives!

12. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Enjoy the RZ67 and the beautiful negs. That's a fun kit. Warning, I might have M7II for sale soon....if you're looking for something lighter that is :tongue:

If you're like me, you'll go 35mm>MF>LF<MF<35mm. Kinda funny, I missed the grain and lack of detail of 35mm. Go figure!

13. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well yesbut... in the sizes I print, and many people print (up to but not exceeding 16x20, more commonly 11x14) the difference between 4x5 and 6x7 is for all practical purposes invisible, unless you really need the view camera movements for the photograph, and even then there are MF view cameras and roll film backs. The PITA factor of sheet film should not be underestimated. I think I keep doing it out of some kind of stubborn resistance to letting it push me away. I enjoy using the camera. I don't enjoy loading holders and trying to keep sheet film dust free and processing it, even though I can do six sheets at a time in my Jobo, and on and on. I often enough wonder why I don't just sell the stuff and get myself an RB or RZ kit.

But I would miss the movements, and the big (relatively, 4x5 isn't 8x10) ground glass, and even the passersby asking about the camera. :wink:

Welcome to some real negative real estate. It is addictive!