Horseman 6x12 back or Da-Yi

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by /dev/null, Dec 15, 2012.

1. /dev/null

/dev/null Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am looking for a second 6x12 back for my Cambo Wide series, so I can shoot both color and b/w.

I have a Da-Yi 6x12 and I have to say I'm quite happy with it. No light leaks or whatsoever. Transporting the film is a bit less convenient that the Horseman.

So I am thinking of either buying another, new Da-Yi or a secondhand Horseman.

The Da-Yi I own is this one:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=122

Could anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in the Da-Yi and the Horseman when it comes to sharpness? I have no 6x12 Horseman to compare. Just wondering if I should get another Da-Yi or spend extra bucks and get a Horseman.

Thanks.

2. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I cannot speak for the 612 DaYi back; however, I have a 617 DaYi Shift II, and the back on it is fine. The beauty of it is the split pressure plate (i.e twin, independent spring-loaded plate) that holds the film flat on both sides of centre.

If the DaYi 612 has the same (albeit less wide) design, I cannot see how the Horseman could be any, let alone significantly, better.

3. /dev/null

/dev/null Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think I just stick with my Da Yi then, I found a nice and cheap brandnew Sinar Vario Zoom 2, so will compare with that. Thanks.

4. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Horseman backs are pretty much considered the standard when it comes to precision and film plane
    accuracy. I'm certainly happy with mine.