hot shoe exposure meter

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by himself, Jan 13, 2013.

1. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mornin'

was wondering if these exist?

I was sat wondering the other day, trying to decide between my hi-matic 7s or my zorki 4 and was disappointed not to choose the zorki, which I prefer, my reasoning was thus - in a pinch if I need to meter the minolta has it and I wont have to reach into my bag for the hand-held meter.

and as wondering tends to do, I was led to a place where I figured there must be a simple fix for this problem, to take away the need to choose, a little meter I could fit to my zorki hot shoe and never need to consider this again.

does such a wonderful thing exist?
    cds or battery powered?

anything?

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to hove one. There should still be some working ones around.

3. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what am I looking for, did they have a specific name, manufacturer?

4. Rudolf Karachun

Rudolf Karachun Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As i remember Cosina used to manufacture them for Bessa. Check out Cosina dealers, they may have them.

5. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The currently manufactured Gossen Digisix has a threaded insert in the bottom and there is an optional shoe mount adapter (which costs about twice what it should) available.

medium.jpg

I don't recall the model, but I believe it was Voigtländer that had a very small meter that mounted on an accessory shoe.

6. rawhead

rawhead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cosina/Voigtländer has the VC meters. They go for a pretty penny on Ebay these days.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just get a flash socket, flash adapter or whatever of that kind you can grab at a fleamarket ar alike, and mount the socket proper by screwing or glueing to that Digisix.

The historic mount-on ones I can remember were selenium ones. But there are some sites on the net devoted to historic exposure meters, maybe you find there something apt to look for then.

8. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks very much...

any that go for an ugly penny?
    not looking for something too bells and whistles-y, just something to use in a pinch

9. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Could get a Leicameter MC, cheaper than the Voigtlander, and probably less accurate. I've used both, prefer the Voigtlander, but it's quite pricey.

10. Aron

Aron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Easy solution: keep your handheld meter in your pocket or around your belt so it will always be within easy reach. To me incident meters are fundamental accesories and I wouldn't want to trade mine for an accesory shoe mounted one that one would inevitably use mostly in reflected mode, if it's got an incident option at all.

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A small scall meter capable of incident light metering, could be used mounted on the camera the same way as as lose meter.

12. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The problem with older hotshoe-mounted exposure meters is either
    • they use selenium photosensor which may well have degraded
    • they use CdS photosensor which require mercury oxide button cells which are no longer manufactured (Wein air cells may or may not be available in the proper size to fit)

13. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Sekonic L-208 Twinmate used to be sold with a hot shoe adaptor that could be attached to the meter. Its a decent little meter that is relatively inexpensive.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One can make silver-oxide cells fit mechanically and electronically. But that would mean some hassle.

16. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But they are 1.5v and decline voltage over their lifetime, whereas CdS meters RELY upon a constant and unvarying 1.35v provided by mercuric oxide batteries. Simple substitution of alkaline or silver oxide very frequently results in inaccurate readings that cannot be simply compensated with lying about ISO...the Olympus OM-1 is one such example.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must respectfully differ. Silver oxide cells are very consistent over their lifetime, whereas alkaline cells are not.

One cannot just substitute the silver oxide cells for the mercuric oxide cells, because the meter circuit's response to the incorrect voltage does not necessarily result in a linear error. If one reduces that voltage appropriately however (through an appropriate adapter or other circuitry)the meter circuit will respond appropriately.

18. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, so hmmm.

that's a lot of information, not so much of it to make my choice easier...
    but then I don't much like my 7s.

19. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, you've got a Zorki, and Hi-Matic, and budgeting for a meter. You could sell the lot and get a Bessa, have a nice built-in meter? A Bessa R, R2, or even R3A can sometimes be picked up for a good price. If you don't mind a separate finder/range finder, then the Bessa T is worth a look, they are pretty nice cameras and *tiny*.

20. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    only budgeting for a meter by considering selling the Hi Matic, which unfortunately isn't worth much here in the UK (sorry for assuming you may not be for the UK, but there seems to be mostly people from the States on here), the zorki isn't worth anything either...

anyway, added all up, unless I'm lucky, I'd need to sell a kidney on top of all that for a bessa

21. kanzlr

kanzlr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it still comes with the optional shoe. I got one for Christmas and the shoe was included. Still, I think it is more practical to have it in a shirt pocket.

22. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Cheapest option is a Weston II or III, PeterLoy occasionally has one, or Street vendors on Bricklane or Sptalfield Mkt.

20 GBP without invercone/filter, 30 with (about). You need a free pocket as well. If they are still in qual after 50 years they will last another 50 years - probably...

Noel

23. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i've already got a pocketable one, but lacking a free pocket - was considerin me options like

24. rockphotographer

rockphotographer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  25. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know, with certainty that SOME meters could substitute 1.5v for the original 1.35v battery, and not have a problem.
    But SOME meters absolutely cannot simply be compensated for even a constant 0.15v difference simply because the amount of meter error is different at different levels of light being measured! The meter in the Olympus OM-1 is one of these...I know, because I still have a few mercury oxide cells and compared the mercury oxide reading with a 1.5v substitute, and the error was NOT consistent at different light levels.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  26. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Pentax Spotmatic series may all be ok (when they use a bridge circuit with Silver Oxide or alkaline batteries).
    The Pentax K1000 series ditto (they use a dual coil galvanometer for similar effect)
    But I'd use silver oxide in either myself, e.g. cept when stuck on Sunday, with dead battery and no shops.

The rest probably all need a Shockley diode to drop the Silver ovide 1.5 volts (nominal) to close to 1.33 volts.

Most of the time I remove battery and use sunnyside f/16...

Noel