Houston Area Alt-process (and stuff) Gathering October 28

Discussion in 'Texas' started by clay, Sep 20, 2006.

1. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sort of hijacked that other thread, so I thought I ought to start a new one, and apologize.

So here is the deal:

We have done these twice before. The format is basically spending an afternoon looking at everyone's work. In the interest of brevity, we generally try to limit the number of prints to half a dozen, but with the understanding that anyone at any time can bring out a gazillion prints to share with someone one-on-one away from the main group. In the past, the processes represented have been monochrome, gum, tri-color gum, gum over platinum, bromoil, Rawlins oil, photogravure, and some others I have probably forgotten.

I will post more specifics later, but in general, it goes from noon until 5 or six, and involves food and drink.

I'm still deciding what process we can demo.

Thanks!

Clay

PS Please let me know if you are thinking of attending.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to see some carbon printing demoed :smile:

I already sent you an email, Clay, but I'm planning on attending if I can get someone to cover my lab duties that Saturday.

3. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No apology needed Clay, that was what the thread was for..to see if any like minded folks wanted to get together to cuss/discuss/shoot/etc.

Since I haven't the time at present to pull something together this is very welcome. Sounds like a bit like a Platapus Party a la Bostick&Sullivan, but Texas style. If work schedule allows, hope to be there.

4. Rocky Boudreaux

Rocky Boudreaux Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey Clay

Glad to see the post and continuation of Houston meetings.
    Wish I could be there perhaps next time.
    Getting settled in Monroe, LA and will contact you directly later.

So how about the Monroe, LA area, any others in this area that would like to have a meeting?

Rocky

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  5. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ill be there Clay.

6. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any objections if I show up without any prints, as I don't do alt. process? I'll just lurk in the back and be very quiet!

Valerie

7. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Come on! These things are always fun because you get to see some work and processes that are really interesting. I'll post more specifics later this weekend.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe Tri-Color gum demo? :smile:

i should have my first 2 critiques from studio class this semester to share.

9. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Besides that, some consider Silver printing alternative....sure would be a let down to not see some of your work since I missed it during the workshop in May.

Now if we can get lee and David to come you get the TCP too!!:wink:

10. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is shaping up to be a nice gathering. I think it looks like maybe a dozen or so people are going to try to make it. Heck, we will even have a surprise 'celebrity guest' alt-process printer from Montana!

11. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    clay. thanks so much, in advance, for organizing this... really looking forward to it.

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    is Christina Anderson coming down?

13. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is the rumor, yes.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, yes! Clay has given me dispensation to come with silver gelatin, so I've been spending hours in the darkroom this week. And Lee is coming. The TCP decends on Houston! :wink:

16. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is actually turning out to be a fairly well-attended meeting. It looks like we will have a half dozen or so profs and students from Stephen F. Austin (and their visiting lecturer, Christina Z Anderson), another 3 or 4 from the DFW area, and a few Austinites, not to mention the locals. Now if Valerie can only convince Keith Carter to drive the 90 minutes from Beaumont, I can start selling tickets!

It ought to be fun. I am thinking about starting the whole thing a little earlier so people will have plenty of time to show their work.

I will supply the food and modest drink requirements. If you plan on drinking a six-pack by yourself, go ahead and bring that and a driver. No one is allergic to sweetbreads and anchovy quiche, I hope?:wink:

17. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clay:

Some of us are going to be on the road and off APUG by the middle of the week. Can you let us know a time change by Wednesday? :smile:

18. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D :D I'd even pay then...even if it does mean getting that close to Houston :D

Sounds like it is going to be fun Clay, and Thank You again for putting this together.

19. sacsai

sacsai Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How 'bout in my area

Anyone know of such a class in the raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina?
    Thanks,
    Cheebug[/B]

20. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's still plan on getting started at noon. For those interested in cheap-skatism, I can do a demo of making homemade potassium oxalate developer in the driveway prior to the start of the meeting. Say 11:00 or so.

21. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like fun!

22. Michael Mutmansky

Michael Mutmansky Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Clay,

Which are you using these days, hydroxide or carbonate?

---Michael

23. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Returned home late last night from the gathering at Clay's. This was a really good event, and well attended. There must have been at least 25+ in attendance. Clay and his wife (and the rest of the family) were very kind to open their home up to such a large group of stangers who share a common interest.

Thank You Clay, I know those of us with the TCP really enjoyed it and we appreicated all the input.

24. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should also mention what YOU MISSED -

Zebra was there with a 20x24 ambrotype (yeah that is 20 INCHES by 24 INCHES) - talk about breath taking - he also had several other wet plates as well as some very nice gum overs.

If you have never seen one of Kerik's wet plates you REALLY have not seen one....these are just amazing. Sorry can not find the words to describe them...just Happy I had the chance to see them. Thanks Kerik.

The quality of the work shown was just amazing..there was so much talent in one room it was .... well a bit intimidating. Best of all these talented people were more than willing to share their knowledge as well as their thoughts on your on work.

Clay finished the afternoon by showing us some of his work, and as you might guess it was very, very good.

So, for those that missed it...you really missed a Great afternoon of photography, and some of the best work being produced today - IMO.

Thanks

25. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I want to second Mikes description and thanks to Clay and his family for the great time. Some of us (at the risk of being Boo'ed) actually showed some silver work also. It was great to meet everyone and finally be able to put a face with the name.

lee\c

26. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another big "thank you" to the Clay and his family.....it was wonderful to meet more apugers in person and to see so much awesome work. I went home on a photographic high and in visual overload. I've never done anything in alt process, but now I'm a-thinkin'...............(danger! danger!)...

BTW, how many dogs were you left with at the end of the day? lol !