How are Polaroid doing?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Sean, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a feeling I'm really going to like the 665 polaroid negs, but am wondering how long they'll be around..

2. mark

mark Member

I thought polaroid was in trouble, or did they get out of it?

3. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They filed for bankruptcy a protection a couple years ago, but I haven't seen anything since hinting they were about to dry up.

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I thought that I heard that Fuji was going to pick up Poloroid production. I assumed that was why 55 is still available years after the fact. I don't know, I'll watch for genuine information.

5. ThomHarrop

ThomHarrop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Polaroid has been in Chapter 11 about as long as I can remember. They are doing some coventures and I think they will be around for a while. People have been counting them out since about 1990 but they seem to stay around.

6. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never understood why Polaroid didn't jump into digital in some big way - it would seem a natural evolution of instant pictures. Maybe they didn't have money by the time digital took over. If I were wanting to produce a digital camera, I'd talk seriously to Polaroid about licensing the name.
    juan

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Use it while you can, I guess. Type 55 is a real ghost film--Polaroid in bankruptcy, Panatomic-X (the negative material) discontinued, and still it exists!

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bank one ( the financial institution ) owns polaroid now.
    judging from the converstion i had with someone that works at polaroid ( a few weeks ago ) they are doing really well. ...

:smile:

9. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i talked with a rep from Polaroid earlier in the year and they indicated they had been restructing, and got a new business partner (the bank) and felt very positive about the furture.

I know a lot of people in my area use a lot of their products, which of course doesn't mean much, but it seems to be holding it's own.