How are you guys scanning your larger (then 8x10) prints?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by brian steinberger, Sep 15, 2010.

1. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I've created some great 11x14 prints that I'd like to share in the gallery, but my scanner is obviously too small to accept a larger print.

Are you guys photographing them dig*&^%lly? Or scanning sections and merging in phot*(&shop?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep I just take a digital photo of them. I have tried to piece together scans and that's really hard to do well, and ultimately uses more manipulation.

3. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the very same problem. I've tied shooting them on a Digi, but have always been disappointed with the results. Lately I have been printing to 10x8 so I can scan, but most of my archive is 14x11 or larger. I did scan my negs with a Canoscan 8800F, but it died prematurely, and I didn't want to waste any more money on a new one. Much prefer to use prints of course, and I suppose you could stitch them in two halves, not for me though.

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I -- uh -- scan mine with a <whisper> Canon EOS40D </whisper>. Mother is the necessity of invention -- er -- somethin' like that.

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I scan oversize documents and photos in sections with a regular flatbed scanner then stitch them together with Photoshop's panorama feature.

My scanner, Canoscan 8800F only scans negatives up to about 3 inches wide but I was able to scan my father's old 4x5 negatives with it. Just make 2 scans. Make sure more than half the picture overlaps then import into Photoshop via FILE > AUTOMATE > PHTOMERGE... The computer does most of the work.

All the pictures in this gallery came from my father's old negatives. All but the first one came from 4x5 negatives. All of them were scanned in two passes then stitched with Phtoshop.

http://gallery.me.com/randystankey#100114&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=7

Works for me! :smile:

6. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I guess I should have posted this ad here, instead of over on the LF forum. It's still available at $200.

Charley

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like others here I rephotograph using a DSLR. The highest quality scan from a print is from a Glossy RC print but I don't want to have to reprint a few hundred images as I only use FB paper for personal work.

The 3rd option which is the route I'm going down later this year is negative scans, and matching the FB prints. This will give me the high quality digital files required for reproduction.

Ian

8. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a A3+ positive scanner (Microtek) and have standardized my enlargements from 35 mm or MF to this format.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  9. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mustek large format scanner for under $200. It handles up to 11X17.
    For larger, I do use a digi-snap.