How bad does it have to be?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Roverman, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Roverman

Roverman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all
    im looking at a Rollei on eBay and the vendor states the lens has scratchs and fungus on the taking lens, my question is how bad does it have to be before the pics are badly affected, can, if the marks are minor it be repaired, I could live with some minor defects, heck it might give a dreamy effect to the pics lomoesk style.
    any advice welcomed

2. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    if you can see the fungus in pics it is pretty bad, even if it is cleaned up, the lens surface is damaged, as far as scratches go, or cleaning marks you can use a hood to avoid reflections, or use a black marker and fill them in.

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Roverman and welcome to APUG. Save some money, buy a box camera instead.

4. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had couple of foggy lenses: they are giving some special efect that is ok for playing around, but not for excellent results. For example cheap but clear industar gave me better results than foggy elmar. So in your case - it is better to buy flexaret (or other cheaper TLR) in exc. condition that foggy, full of fungus rollei :smile:

5. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fungus indicates more damage inside -- you don't want that camera. You can do far better for not much more money.

that lens rentals deal is a real gas, however.

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amazing amount of scratches have little effect on the image. HOWEVER, fungus is a major problem not because little will affect the image but it will spread if not cleaned properly.

I had an enlarger lens that had a good amount of fungus. It has eaten into the coating and in process of cleaning it, major part of it flaked right off. In other experience, just a light fungus cleaned off by simply wiping it with regular lens cleaner. I don't know how much money you are talking about but you really won't know if it will clean acceptably until you try it.

I wouldn't purchase a lens (or a camera with lens) with fungus. If you want a dreamy image, you could use a filter.

8. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Roverman

Roverman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the fast replies, those two artilcles made good reading.
    knowing the way things work on eBay I've got a feeling that the camera will go for silly money even with these flaws, I may just take a punt on it, but a a low price.
    quite like the idea of a baby Rollei, how hard is it to get the 127 film, I suppose I'd have to develop it myself, will it produce images of an equal character as a big rolleiflex?

10. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only two makers of 127 film left that I know. EFKE make an ISO 100 black & white film, and Bluefire make a colour negative film. (Suspected to be reloaded Kodak Portra 160.)

http://www.bluefire.ca/BluefireMurano.htm

The EFKE you could easily develop yourself. I have shot the Bluefire and had it processed (C41) at a pro lab. Results were very nice, much closer to 6x6 quality than 35mm quality.

There's a reason that 4x4 SuperSlides were popular, they deliver really nice results (in a size that still fit most 35mm projectors.)

11. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  12. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder why Ilford doesn't cut 127 film in limited runs.

13. Roverman

Roverman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If their are only two makers of film is it worth getting a 4x4?
    how do you recut the flim to size?

14. zesbaugh

zesbaugh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    127 is running $10+ per roll these days. You can cut down 120, but it's a bit of a PITA. Check out you-tube for instructions.
    I would not recommend PURCHASING a baby Rollei over a full size for the above reasons...unless you find one for next to nothing or plan to start a 127 collection.