How do I donate/ship my Omega 5X7 Enlarger?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Inayat Noor, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Inayat Noor

Inayat Noor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an Omega 5X7 E5 enlarger I no longer use or need. I have replaced it with a Durst 138. I would like to see the Omega go to a home and get used. I have checked to see if any local schools would be interested. There are none. I live in Jupiter, Florida and could not find any interested schools.

My question is: If I were to find someone not local, interested, can this enlarger be taken apart and shipped? If so, how difficult is it to disassemble? This is a complete enlarger with diffuser head and a Schneider Componon 180° lens. If I detach the post from the base board would it be hard for the recipient to re-align? I assume the head, glass negative carrier and lens would have to be packed carefully. I do have the manual but it does not give any info on disassembling.

Inayat-Noor

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    since i hate replies that start with i don't /haven't used, etc. this....... but do this

I am not familar with that specific enlarger; however, we have shipped various others and the big weight issue is the base board.. Removing it should not be a problem nor putting it back on.

You might check classic enlargers for specifics of disassembling.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey there

i have an e4, and when i bought it the head and base were removed from the body of the enlarger. it was easy to assemble/dissasseble. the e5 head can probably easily be packed in a box with packing &C the baseboard and body are just as easily packed away. (if you can't find someone local) one suggestion i might make is not to dissassemble to much, pack it in a big crate and when you find someone to ship it to, send it the belly / cargo of a bus. buslines like greyhound, bonanza &C will gladly transport big bulky items ( like an enlarger ) and from what i have been told it is a pretty good way to send items like this ...

good luck!

john

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  4. mark

mark Member

Instead of shipping call the local community college and ask if they have a darkroom. Donate it to them. I am sure there are folks with trucks who could pick it up.

5. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

I would like to have it. Could drive to your place and pick it up. (bmitch@comcast.net)

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found DHL Ground to be the least expensive way to ship large, heavy items.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a college student who could use it :D

8. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy-

you seem to get all the freebies. Turn off the charm and let someone else land a neat toy like that! Besides, I thought you were all about contact printing these days!

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What freebies? I actually had to pass on the camera Jim offered up as I couldn't get down to San Antonio with a truck to pick it up :sad:

Yep, I am all about the contact printing lately, but I've been having an itch to enlarge my 3x4 Graflex shots....

10. Jadedoto

Jadedoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey, if you still have it, I'll pay to get it shipped here!

I'm a high school student with a fairly basic darkroom, and it'd be nice to enlarge my medium format and large formats at home instead of $10 a pop.