How do I remove 'hook & loop' adhesive?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Loose Gravel, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I've got an LF camera that I had some 'hook & loop' (generic name for Velcro) fastener attached. I used the kind that has the glue on it when you buy it. Peel and stick. Now I want to remove this. I pulled the fabric part off and the stick part is stuck on the metal (hard anodized aluminum). I tried alcohol (ethyl and isopropol), naptha, goo gone, white gas, laquer thinner, and Windex w/amonnia. Something in there worked, because I tried some things and nothing happened, then the next day tried some more and some wiped right off. So I tried again and it is a mess. Scotchbrand said windex and 3M said use citrus cleaner, which I just tried (not very good, maybe a little). I thought there should be some kind of nuclear reagent like MEK or something that would just wipe it off before any cancer sets in.

Any ideas. Thanks.

2. Carol

Carol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you get eucalyptus oil over there? It's pretty good at removing glue (also chewing gum) and it's less harmful than a cleaning chemical. Whatever you try next, can I suggest you let it soak in a bit before you wash it off. That might be why some came off the next day as it had time to be absorbed. Very best of luck.

3. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    WD40 might work.

4. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a "goo gone"... the label reads "removes grease, gum (chewing?), stickers, tape etc... The label has a note "Citrus Power"

Magic American Corp.... http://www.googone.com

Ken

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used naphtha on it, and it's worked. I'm not sure why it's not working in your case.

6. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to an auto parts store or body shop supply store. They will carry an adhesive remover that is used to take off glue and residue from decals, bumper stickers, tape etc on cars. As long as it is on metal this will work fine.
    Keep it away from any wood. It will remove the finish.

A cheaper alternative to try first is lighter fluid. use cloth such as an old t-shirt. dampen a small portion of the cloth and rub the glue gently at first. Then use another section of the cloth with some more lighter fluid and wipe away the glue. Repeat as necessary.

7. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The same lighter fluid (Ronsonol, etc.) that you use to clean shutters should do a fine job. What you might be finding, however, is that there's a plastic film intermingled; some hook-loop stick-on material uses double sided tape instead of glue applied directly, and in that case you have to get the solvent under the plastic before it can dissolve the adhesive (the stuff wiping off after sitting overnight is what I'd expect in this situation -- seepage takes time). I'd suggest gentle scraping with a plastic edge (old credit cards are excellent for this) to remove the bulk of the goo before another wipe down with plain lighter fluid or naphtha.

8. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    any cooking oil will work...I've even heard peanut butter used to remove adhesive residue. WD-40 also.

You have to be really careful with some of those cleaners...like "goo-gone"...they can contain kerosene type 'goodies'. :sad:

9. scfnurse59

scfnurse59 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try a product called UN-Do. I believe it is mafufactured by 3M

10. Thomas Wagner

Thomas Wagner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get a product called "Safety Solvent". In the us I would imagine Target, or any good hardware store. It has never failed me, and it does not remove the paint.

Tom

11. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a solvent based adhesive to me, like contact cement. MEK works well, but use gloves and work outdoors (indoors it has a low flash point, so use it outside, no sparks please). Take a paper towel and soak it in MEK. Place it on the glue and leave there. It will evaporate fast, so do this a couple of times. This should work. If not, 3M adhesive remover from an auto shop works for this type of stuff.