How do I rig my Universal Press for Pinhole?

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by johnny9fingers, Aug 21, 2009.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would like to try Pinhole photography with my Universal Press and Fuji Instant Film. Will I need to get somextension tubes to make this work or can I mount my lensless lens right on the body of the camera? I suppose I could experiment but will seek your advice first, just in case someone out there has already blazed this trail......
    Thanks,
    John

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would mount it directly on the body to get some extreme wide angle images. I got rid of my press several years ago but as I remember this will give you an effective focal length of 1 1/2 - 2".

3. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Jim, ultra wide is pretty neat. The hole in the front of the Press is huge, how did you mount the Pinhole ?

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you get a "body cap" for that camera? That can be a handy way to afix experimental goodies without messing up the camera with duct tape, baling wire or rubber bands, etc. I bought and used an extra body cap for a pinhole with my SQ-A, but that resulted in a near-normal field of view because there is a bunch of clearance for the reflex mirror built into the body. (About 90mm focal length on 6x6cm film.) Bayonet on - bayonet off. I actually switched between my 80mm lens and the pinhole on its first outing, using the lens to be able to see what I was shooting (SLR focussing doesn't work so well with pinholes!)

DaveT

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good thing you don't need to :tongue:

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unh -- got me! Mayhaps I should have said "aiming and composing." :tongue:

DaveT