How do third-party bellows stack up?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jcc, Apr 2, 2013.

1. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heard a lot of positive reviews for Custom Bellows in the UK, but the 6-8 week wait is not going to cut for an upcoming trip. Does anyone have any experience with the (cheaper) bellows found on eBay? They seem okay from the ad photos. I know, you get what you pay for. But, if it's light-tight for a year or two, I'm perfectly fine with that. I need a new bellows for a Technikardan 45s. Any thoughts? Are there other alternatives?

2. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This doesn't answer your question but...

for last minute bellows repair, has anyone tried wrapping a garbage bag around it?

3. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a crapshoot. Literally. You might get an excellent set of bellows, and you might get junk, and you might get something in-between. The only direct experience I have is installing an epay bellows on a Technika belonging to a friend; the replacement was about 14" in length, which is 2+ inches too short, yet they were so thick that the camera wouldn't close with them installed.
    YMMV.

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use the darkcloth.

5. pgomena

pgomena Member

New ones are only $800, but they're the real thing.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So are the ones from Custom bellows :D

I'dpatch up the existing bellows and order a set from Custom bellows, they made me a bag bellows years ago and had the original drawings.

Ian

7. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've had good luck with Rudy on EBay. I'd rather not buy from Hong Kong but I've had great service and pricing from him.

8. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ahd custom bellows do a linhof tech III bellows for me it only took a month and total with shipping ended up around $250 and they even installed it to the rear frame I sent them ! I've never been so happy