How do you carry that MF Kit? Bags, Packs, Satchels, Neck Straps, Vests & Belt Packs?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by monkeytumble, Aug 25, 2007.

How do you carry your MF kit? (Note: multiple choices are allowed)

Poll closed Sep 24, 2007.
  1. Shoulder Bag

37 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Backpack

30 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Beltpack

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Neck Strap

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  5. Satchel

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Vest

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. monkeytumble

monkeytumble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Love the quality I'm getting from the larger negatives and chromes since I stepped up to MF... but, I'm not a spring chicken anymore and carrying a MF kit all day kills my shoulder and back.

What do you carry you MF kit around in? And, I'd really like to hear what you are carrying in your kit... maybe I'm hauling too much stuff.

Cheers,

Jay

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It varies. On any given shoot, I may carry between one and five lenses and between one and five backs, and I may bring a couple more than on the plane when I'm traveling, but I rarely shoot with more than five.

So if I'm just carrying the camera and one lens, I just use a neckstrap and maybe a belt pack for extra film and a notebook, if I don't have pockets, or a fanny pack if I want to carry multiple backs for different lighting conditions.

Camera and three lenses--usually a shoulder back or neckstrap and a large fanny pack, and I've probably got three backs with me.

Camera and 4-5 lenses, three backs usually--shoulder bag.

Most often the shoulder bag for the MF kit (Bronica S2a) is an old leather Perrin Contur bag.

3. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For my RB67 gear, I carry everything in a Kelty Redwing 3100 with some cases from Photobackpacker. I have a body, 3 lenses, 2 film backs, metered prism, lens hoods, etc... The backpack makes everything feel lighter than if I were to use a shoulder bag for it.

I'm in the process of upgrading my shoulder bag for my Mamiya M645 Super gear. I have one body/prism, 3 lenses, 2 film backs and some accessories.

That being said, I don't normally carry everything with me, just what I think I'll need.

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gee -- you didn't include "Car" :D

I'm still working on this and it's complicated by having acquired more gear than my original minimalist plan called for. I tend -- so far -- to set out on a specific project only requiring one body, one lens, one or two backs, a cable release, a few filters and a bunch of film. I acquired an Optech cushioned strap for a tripod as a separate entity. I have acquired two non-camera shoulder bags which I have padded with foam, one is larger than the other, but both quite small. Depending on how many backs and lenses I want to carry, I pick one.

I have acquired a vest, and already owned a small "fanny pack" that could be used for miscellaneous accessories and film (and an alternate technology P&S), but so far I've not gotten quite that entangled. The SQ-A with 65 or 80 mm and the waist level finder doesn't weigh much more than my Canon A-1 with the 35-105 macro zoom attached.

I have half a closet full of bags, some inherited, and I'm still looking for the "right" one.

DaveT

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I do a combo- a backpack for carrying the whole kit on the road, and when I'm wandering around at my destination, I usually offload a portion of it into an over-the-shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag, and carry that.

6. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I'm just walking around with my Rollei TLR, then it's on the neckstrap. When I flew to Maine last month I carried the TLR, a 503CX and 150 lens, couple of meters, and film in a backpack, which was heavy, but sure beats a shoulder bag. If I'm carrying anything more than that, I use a Porter rolling case.
    Once over 55, I found that heavy bags slung from one shoulder were killing my back. Backpacks are wonderful for carrying equipment, though not as easy to rummage around in as shoulder bags.

7. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is kind of what I do too. One of the things I use is a large waist pack I bought at a rummage sale for $1. :D It will hold the Hassy, my 250 lens & a back. I also use my photo vest. The thing is invaluable!! :smile:

8. Magnus W

Magnus W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LowePro Slingshot 200. Holds my Hassy500c/m, 2 mags, 50mm, 150mm, hoods and films, and other bits & bobs. Remarkably roomy.

Or LowePro Nova 2 holds Hassy w. one mag, 50 & 150. A little cramped.

Or Pentax 645N w 45/2.8 around my neck (or rather, over my shoulder. But by the neckstrap).

-- MW

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Crumpler messenger-style bags are a good compromise between the convenience of a shoulder bag and the better weight distribution of a backpack. I've used the largest one with my 4x5" Technika kit for a few years now, and it's fine for day hikes on maintained trails, and it's a very convenient bag to work out of.

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't include duffle bags either. Or hard cases. Or who knows what.

Some of the answer will depend on what MF camera. I've got an old 1950s folder that fits a big pocket. Then you've got MF that are bigger then the average car.

I picked up a messenger bag/laptop bag for my 8x10. I think it'll be fine for the Bronica 645 but would likely be a bad choice for a Mamiya RB or RZ. The bag is padded. Not much money at $30 Canadian. Lots of pockets. Downside it's got a lousy strap. :rolleyes: What could have been a fairly good bag is now borderline. At least until I figure out how to improve the strap.

I can imagine a Pentax 645 on a neck strap. Or a Fuji RF. Even the bigger Fujis.

11. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    MF Fujis on neckstraps, Crown Graphics, Hassy in backpack

I carry my MF Fujis (645, 6x7 and 6x9) on neckstraps. Crown Graphics, Galvin, Hassy, etc. in Gregory Backpack.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do lunch kits count?

I have all sorts and sizes of soft bags, plus one small hard case and one aluminum hard case. I tend to move things around, depending on what my plans are. A small bag with one body and two lenses plus some smaller accessories is always nice, because it is comfortable and unobtrusive, but if need be I've got much larger bags too.

A combination of a large bag in the trunk of the car or at "base camp" plus a small bag over the shoulder often works well.

Matt

13. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Either a neckstrap, a backpack or a barbag depending on how far I'm going and whether on foot or by bike. Usually it's in a Lowepro padded bag in a pack (Berghaus 64zero).

14. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tote Camera and Tripod as One

I've found that a Bronica on tripod with center column
    adjusted just right makes an easy totaly balanced tote.
    Up the trail or through the rough of off trail if distances
    are not great, a comfortable carry.

About to take an RB into the woods in the same manor.
    Tripod, Manfrotto 3001 - Head, Manfrotto 410 Gear Head
    A lens, 65mm this trip - one 120 back

A small hip pack carries a small air can, cable release,
    hood, filters, note pad, etc. A daypack carries a thermos,
    eats, warm shirt, socks, and just-in-case-of a-broken-leg
    gear. If over-nighting all but the camera/tripod combo fits
    into a backpack. Dan

15. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I normally carry my Mamiya 7 II with up to 4 lenses in a Lowe Pro Mini Trekker or a Lowe Pro Orion Fanny belt pack which I would carry in my custom made Backpack or in Lowe Pro Orion AW belt pack. My Rollei 3.5F I would probably carry pretty much the same way. I may carry the Mamiya 7 II with one lens in a special Galen Rowell pouch on a neck strap with the rest of the gear in one of the mentioned systems.

Rich

16. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just purchased a Kelty Redwing pack and 3 cases for my rig. It carries a whole lot easier than the old Tamrac backpack. I can't recommend the Photobackpacker setup enough. (An APUG sponsor)

I carry 1 Hassie body, 3 lenses, 2 backs, filter holder/hood, filters, some extension tubes, and 2 meters. And a partridge in a pear tree.

17. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is pretty much what I do as well. A few years ago I picked up an older Tamrac 777 at a flea market. This beast is heavy even when it's empty, but it holds a lot of gear - two bodies, (four if you count a Holga and a dxxxxxl camera :D ) several lenses, film, filters, flash, batteries, charger(s)... and a dollar-store single-strap backpack.

This little pack is ideal because it can hold a camera or two and I can easily swing it around to the front to access my gear. (or to protect it on the subway) It doesn't offer a whole lot of protection, but it is by far the most convenient method for me at this time.

Sometimes, though the tripod over the shoulder like dancqu does is good for a short hike.

The other day, I was out walking without my pack, and my daughter said I looked naked. :D

Cheers,

18. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one 500 C/M, one A12, with attached 80mm. A 50mm, a 250mm, a 2x Kenko, Luna Pro SBC, filters, and an old HBlad pro shade. They all fit into an old Domke F2. When I go on the river, it all goes in a Pelican case.

19. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only use a back pack because my shoulder bag was getting too small. It doesn't matter much though when out I put it on a tripod and I don't need to constantly pull it out and put it away.

20. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Lowe Pro Rover combi backback for my Pentax 6X7 + three lenses, tubes and lightmeters etc. When carrying the camera and one lens I use the strap.
    Kind regards
    Søren

21. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Lowepro Omni Trekker bag in shoulder bag mode with an Op/Tech strap,and whilst the contents vary with the trip, I will probably on average have one body, four lenses, three bags , meter, filters and film. The bag generally weighs about 20lb.

Its likely I will have a back up body, bellows shade, and one or two other lenses and backs in the car if I'm using one or at my hotel if I'm not. In addition I'm likely to have a MF rangefinder system in the car or hotel and occasionally I'll configure the bag to hold parts of both systems- normally rangefinder for wider angle and the slr for telephoto and close work.

As well as being the most comfortable shoulder-bag I've found, with everything stored at one level. the Omni Trekker fits right inside a Pelican 1550 case if I need to check gear.

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a back pack that loads from the top for my Hasselblad 503 CX, four lenses, two backs, lens hoods, film, filters, ...

When I go off roading, I put the pack in the front seat with the seatbelt through the shoulder straps. That way I can get the camera and the lens of choice while I am still sitting in the driver's seat. The Nikon is kept in a shoulder bag, but I will quite often put the Nikon on the console.

Steve

23. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My MF's are TLRs (neck strap) and an RF (neck strap)

I *store* the RF in a SMALL shoulder bag, formerly full of 35mm RF gear (which I decided didn't NEED a bag)

The second lens goes neatly in my anorak pocket, as do 8 or 9 rolls of film.

24. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Neck strap.
    Usually have my Bronica SQ-Ai slung over my shoulder, riding through town on my bike with my 4x5 in a skate backpack, wrapped in its darkcloth for protection.
    Sounds like 'living dangerously', but no incidents as of yet, knock on wood.
    The whole system with all I've got on it is almost exactly the size of a Pentax 67 w/the wood grip, which my roomate carries over HIS shoulder in the same manner.