How do you mark you film roll when Pushed/pulled

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by McErland, Dec 6, 2013.

1. McErland

McErland Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey!

So I've ran into a new problem the other day.
    The pen I used to mark my film roll dissolved in the Fridge. Luckily I could remember it was pushed to 800.

How do you mark your film roll? Tried 3 different pens no and none would stick. Dnd the glue on post-its does not cope well with the cold either.

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sharpie brand pens work very well and can be bought with a fine-point tip. I don't know if they are sold in Sweden.

3. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hej,

I use water proof pens that can write on metal, for example an over-head fin tip pen, works great both on metal canisters and on 120 paper.

(I am Swedish living in Switzerland... )
    mvh

4. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Labels or a piece of paper and rubberbands

5. effae

effae Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just tend to write on the cap of my plastic film containers. I've found that my markers wont hold on the container itself, but the matte finish of the cap works well!

6. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use the fine tip Sharpie brand pens as well. I bought a pack of several and put a couple in each bag. Never had them fade on me and they won't smear as long as you give them a short drying time.

Everything gets marked N, N+, N- and so on, location(s) and date(s), as much info as I have room. Obviously there is more label real estate on 120 film.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or put a slip of paper in the container with the film.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i don't, but process everything as "normal" even if it is over/under exposed by 3 stops

9. ignatiu5

ignatiu5 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Sharpie too, but for 35mm I fold the leader as well. One fold for a 1 stop push, twice for 2 stops.

10. OldBodyOldSoul

OldBodyOldSoul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This. Never had a problem.

11. q_x

q_x Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I'm sometimes out for a long time, making photos while hiking or visiting friends. I have no sharpie in the wild. What I have though, is my terrible memory. I reload all cassettes many times, with different films, so the info on the cassette is insignificant (so is DX code, so I'm sometimes taping these, depending on a camera). I'm always leaving the beginning (it's hard to call it a leader) of a film sticking out when rewinding the film for more confusion. Helps reusing cassettes.

So you can imagine this situation: smelly guy, tired as hell, working in a hurry in the middle of nowhere, cause the sun is going down... With a bag of films, all looking the same. That, without a clear and working solution, would lead to a complete chaos followed by a certain failure.

There's a system that works for me. I'm scratching whatever I'll need in the emulsion with whatever I have in my hand. Pen, knife, cable release, pebble, whatever. If I'm in a real hurry, I'd bite the film to mark and remember which roll needs to be taken care of later and should not be used. I scribble a place I'm in, the number of a roll from a given place and push/pull info if needed. After getting back home, I have have zero problems with developing, chronology or subjects, and the information isn't lost even after the development. S2 50 translates to: sea, second roll, 50 ASA. I may (or not) remember which rolls or subjects need more or less contrast while developing, so I can process things accordingly.

12. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know this is the 35mm forum, but I also keep a notebook handy at all times when I'm taking pictures of any degree of seriousity. For sheet film, the holders are numbered and I can take notes of what EI i used for each sheet.

13. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "i don't, but process everything as "normal" even if it is over/under exposed by 3 stops"

Another happy Tri-X user I perceive. I use a sharpie to remember which film came from which camera, or a regular pen on a piece of masking tape.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bob01721

bob01721 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm shooters aren't supposed to carry a notebook? :confused: Personally, I take notes shooting 35mm the same as when shooting 4x5.

16. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    35mm....write the pertinent info on a note card or the side of a barn and photograph it (with that roll).

17. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

i thought the same thing, "write a note and photograph it!"
    but then i remembered
    you would only see the note after the film was processed :smile:

haha
    john

18. HowardDvorin

HowardDvorin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Dixon CHINA MARKERS. i get them a stationary stores. I also use them on backs of prints and nega file pages. they are available in many colors.

Howard Dvorin

19. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh...yeah....(chuckes to self). I do this with place info, sometimes date and time if I think it important.

20. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Because I use reloadable cassettes they already have a new Avery label on them with text e.g. '3x'.

21. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sharpie here. And a notebook. Each roll/sheet comes out of the camera and gets a sequential number on it in sharpie, along with an N or +1 depending on how I shot it.The notebook records the number, film type, development needs, place, and camera body/lens/filter/back/film holder# used. Takes only a minute, has been my practice for the last fifteen years, I did a somewhat less coherent version of this for about ten years before that. When shooting stock slides these notes were invaluable for being sure films were handled properly, and are a simple way for tracking down problems in equipment.

I use those little Avery removable adhesive labels on my film holders and bulk loads also.

22. photopriscilla

photopriscilla Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used paper and elastic bands until once it fell off...That was not a happy day! I use sharpies now!

23. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Sharpie. I keep a black marker (retractable, fine point) in each of my 35mm camera bags for marking up the film cassettes for those occasions when I have shot the film in anything other than my usual EI. BTW: The "Sharpies" seem to handle colder temperatures reasonably well.

24. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear McErland,

I usually use whatever is at hand. It obviously works easily on re-loadable cassettes, but it is pretty easy to write on the plastic container. Of course you have to make sure you don't mix things up!

Neal Wydra

25. McErland

McErland Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys! Bought a sharpie on Ebay now, since it wasn’t available here in “Nässjö” J
    I have tried “Permanent markers”, but the ink just dissolves, or retracts into small drops whenever I tried it.
    Mainly Tri-X or Arista premium rolls that I need to mark. My Lucky 200 is always shot at 200 so that is not a problem…

26. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I scratch the canister off the sidewalk or with a rock.
    One scratch pattern=800, 2 scratches=1600... This was by far my most reliable method