How do you store your gear at home?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by LyleB, Feb 8, 2010.

1. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of the replies in the "What's in your camera bag" thread got me to wondering. What do you find is a good way to store your gear at home. I find it inconvenient to have everything scattered among different bags. It would be easier to have a central storage for everything and just grab what you want on a particular day.

I'd be looking to protect from dust, moisture, and banging around.

Anyone like to keep their cameras on display? Glass cases?

Or is just keeping everything zipped up an the various bags the easiest and most protective?

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It depends. Sometime in my photo closet in the cases but if I know for whatever reason I will not use them for a while I will unload and organize everything....

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photo closet. GAH. Dis guy.

No, I prescribe to the Strewn-Hither-And-Yon method of photography gear cataloging and storage. Be it camera or darkroom. I know where it is. But everything does not have a 'place'.

4. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Well, in truth, this is what I do now, but it can't be best for the equipment. I was hoping to get some ideas for organizing.:smile:

5. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    In a big pile in the corner :D

(no... really) :sad:

6. jcorll

jcorll Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    jeez. Am I the only one on here that keeps all my stuff in ONE location????
    All the cameras that I am not using, I put in a gallon size Ziploc with some silica packets and place in my camera bags. All the bags are on a book case in my den. When ever I need one, just grab and go!
    I tried the "Strewn-hither-and-yon" technique but lost about 10 rolls of film for about 3 or 4 months. So, I go to the bookshelf approach.

7. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Much of our gear gets infrequent use at best, so there are a couple Rubbermaid containers in the corner of my home office with things like flash brackets, tripod QR plates, extension tubes and filter wallets shoved in. I know where these things are if we need them. There's another Rubbermaid container full of random camera gear that is never used or is broken. Studio lighting gear is under the bed or in another corner of the office (hey, it's a 650 sq ft condo). Monique's Canon Rebel K2 and Pentax S2 (35mm) and my Mamiya RB67 live in their camera bags, ready to go. My DSLR is usually sitting on top of its bag or on a desk or shelf. There are other collectible, or simply collected or disused cameras scattered all over the house.

8. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My storage system is a work in progress -- which is pretty sad given it's been going on for about fifty years. :sad:

I have a Lowepro Microtrekker backpack with my Canon A-1 and "most" of my FD lenses. I have a Computrekker with "most" of my Bronica gear in it. I have a Canon EOS-<achoo! Cough> which resides in one of two Think Tank products. And then I have some plastic shoe boxes with one camera and most of its accessories assigned to each box. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one place large enough to hold and organize all this stuff. So currently its strewn-hither-and-yon with some light hints of a better future. Some of my bizarre photo interests have resulted in adding an alarming number of light stands, softboxes and a background stand that have further overwhelmed the closet space. Alas, in about forty years here, i am close to making this entire place a 1600 square foot walk-in closet.

"Good luck" [hangs head in shame ....]

9. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here and there.

10. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some on display that I don't use (vintage gear that I've picked up over the years), the rest reside in their own cases/bags for me to pull out when needed. Currently I have:

• a Lowepro Minitrekker full of my EOS Film gear,
    • a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650AW with my d***** kit for work,
    • an aluminium case with my Bronica GS1 kit,
    • and a German Pelican type case that holds all my bits and pieces for business shoots to go in the hold.
    They sit neatly lined up in the corner of my *very* small studio apartment, along with my lighting kit - if I need to buy any more, I'll need to relocate to a bigger place!!:tongue:

11. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I'm currently single, in the past I've always adhered to the "Never put everything in one place where she can see the true quantity of equipment at one time" approach. So while I'm more centralized now, I still harbor the squirreling instinct. Somewhere in there is a dirty "burying my nuts" joke, but I'm a bigger man than that. :smile:

12. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also spread mine around so my wife can't see it all in one place.

Generally the stuff used somewhat frequently is in camera bags; the stuff used less frequently or parts in Rubbermaid containers. Small bits in one of those units with a lot of small drawers.

13. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mostly prefer the Feng Shui method of organizing my cameras. So far as far as I got is cameras on my scanner table, cameras on my light table, cameras on my lens cabinet. Well at least they are off the floor !!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have four camera bags, each holding a body, two or three lenses, and assorted paraphernalia. Most of my gear is stored in plastic drawer units where I can ostensibly find stuff readily. Plus a large assortment of crap scattered about in the aforementioned Feng Shui style; on the recliner, the turntable, under the bed...

16. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have all my primes in one big Trekker bag.

I have all my zooms in another big Trekker bag.

I keep my (2) DSLR bodies, and (5) SLR bodies in three smaller trekker bags, and my three flashes, and other misc stuff in yet another bag. These bags and the two lens bags always stay home.

When I want to go out and shoot, I pick out one or two lenses, a body or two and place those items in a bag I use just when I'm out and about; I like to travel as light and loose as possible, keeping the majority of my kit at home.

A few mentioned spreading the kit across several parts of the house; so the wife doesn't freak at the amount of kit one has. One of the reasons I divorced my 2nd wife was because she blew a fuse every time I bought kit. Over time I did what I had to do; I left her. A week after the divorce was finalized, I blew several thousand on kit, and talk about liberation, wow!! While driving to a photo shoot, I saw her car on the freeway, and I got next to her and waved my 400mm F2.8 out the window at her....this was 100 times more insulting to her then had I gave her the bird with both hands...honest! Damnation I nearly dropped the lens on the 405 freeway, I was laughing so hard....

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a big steel floor to ceiling office cupboard with internal shelves and draws that I fitted out recently to take all my gear.

18. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two big piles: One for the stuff I use frequently and one for the stuff I can't bear to sell....

:rolleyes:

19. MiddleGrayStudios

MiddleGrayStudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep everything in bags and Pelican cases that are usually kept close by. I do have a dedicated photo closet, but it's mainly where I store my negatives (that also have their own lock-tight case), lights, etc.

20. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I have two plastic sealable boxes that are designed to keep mold from forming. I keep all my cameras in them.

21. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a camera bag that I never take outside. It sits in the corner and my gear is in there. Once it gets too full, I know I have to sell something off.

22. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Everything on one centralized shelving unit-- Cameras displayed openly, lenses arranged beside. I keep all accessories in gear bags, and load body and whichever extra lenses in appropriate bag. I prefer not to store these in the bags to avoid mold and mildew or rust. Most of my gear is over 30 years old, and no problems.

Rick

23. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My gear is in a large wood hutch with two drawers on the bottom. Looks nicer full of cameras, I think. The top four shelves are full of cameras and lenses, the drawers are full of film holders, cases, etc.

24. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am a hybrid user of the "Strewn-hither-and-yon" technique and the shelf technique. I ran out of shelf and then discovered I had a desk. And a table and a floor. Gee what do you know I have a livingroom as wel. With tables, tv's floor etc. O yeah I have a basement locker and a studio. Not to mention a car. So lot's of places to store my camera,s darkroom stuff.

25. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an entire room full of shelves dedicated to cameras. That way I grab and go. My mayor problem is the filters.

26. funkpilz

funkpilz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Back when I had 4 cameras, I would put them all in my huge Domke bags and always pack a smaller bag for whichever camera(s) I was using for the day. But now that bag is reserved for my medium format gear…