How do you tell "new" Portra from "old"?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by copake_ham, Oct 4, 2007.

1. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like a lot of folks here, I grabbed some of the "new" Portra last year when Kodak USA offered some "freebies".

I really like this film but have a problem. Kodak didn't make a clear distinction from the earlier version of Portra when they branded the new version with the same name! After all, they could have just called it "Portra II" or something like that.

I assume they didn't do this so as to protect their retailers by not immediately "obsoleting" the still current-dated film stock of the older emulsions.

But now, a year on, how do I tell the difference if I check on eBay or the photo store websites to ensure I get the "new" stuff?

Anyone know of any easy-to-see ID markings that will differentiate the new emulsion from the older?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The edge markings on the new film will have a "2" after the film designation, as in, "160NC-2," but that doesn't help you buy film. If you want new film, I'd just buy fresh film from one of the places that sells a lot of film, like B&H.

3. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look for the red lozenge shape with 'Now with finer grain':

[​IMG]

The previous version of Portra 800 was also called 800-2, so I don't think that you can tell from the edge markings.

Best,
    Helen

4. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Unpackaged, my Portra 400NC I bought says NEW on the wrapper itself.