How far can I dilute Dektol?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tkamiya, Mar 11, 2013.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am going to make a big print tonight - 16x20.

I typically dilute Dektol per Kodak's instructions - 1:2. How far can I dilute this and still get a max black? Since I am going to make ONLY ONE print, I'd rather not prepare a gallon of developer using the standard dilution.

I'd appreciate if you can stick to the topic. Please - no discussion of how dilutions are expressed or if this is a false economy.

2. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the worry you need to have is there enough developer in the tray to react properly - if you put 1oz of developer in 1 gallon of water and left it for a month, it would never turn completely black. How much developer solution do you need to cover 16x20? I personally wouldn't go more than 1:4 or 1:5 and still obtain an acceptable print - of course, a longer develop time will be required.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dektol has a capacity of thirty-two 8 x 10 sheets per litre of working strength solution. So each litre of normally diluted (1:2) working strength developer has enough chemical capacity to develop eight 16 x 20 sheets.

So theoretically you could mix up a litre of 1:2 solution, and then dilute it further so as to end up eventually with effectively a 1:8 solution, and still have enough capacity to develop eight 16 x 20 sheets.

I would try a test. Most likely you will be doing some test strips anyways. Try developing a smaller strip in some 1:8 developer. You will probably need something like 8 minutes developing time - maybe longer.

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I'll have to try this myself. I was hoping someone has done this already.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I do use Polymax-T at 1+14 rather than the recommended 1 + 9 when I do 11 x 14 and larger, and with a 33% increase in standard developing time (90 - 120 seconds, RC paper) everything works well.

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could theoretically use one liter at standard dilution if you processed in a drum, or a trough, instead of a tray. I used to use a canoe shaped tray to save chems for color prints, would work for B&W as well.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A flat bottom tray with 2 litres of chemistry would probably work if you are diligent and careful.

And you could probably use a slightly more dilute version of Dektol (1 + 3 or 1 + 4?) at the same time.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holy cow! DRUM! I forgot I have one! Thanks. That solves my problem.

9. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi tkamiya,

I recently had just 8 ounces of Dektol left and wanted a print. So I diluted 1:5 and developed for 6 minutes.

Both prints same batch of Galerie 3 and same roll of 35mm film (so black border would match). Both lightly Selenium toned.

The difference could be attributed to two differences I see: greater dilution - or the greater net exposure on the denser print.

Black Border Density: 1.58
    Base exp: f/11 32 seconds

The previous print done normally in Dektol 1:2 for 3 minutes:

Black Border Density: 1.88
    Base exp: f/8 25 seconds

10. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read an article in one of the major photography magazines many years ago about using a sponge to put the developer on the print. From the example they gave the technique worked rather well.

11. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or use something for a trough of some kind, like wallpaper glue thingies, you can get at local building supply. A lot less chem, just see saw the print back and forth. You might be able to use your normal dilution with just a bit more time. Test a strip and compare to a small tray developed print that has the blacks and contrast you want.

12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Other options to diluting:

1. Buy the one-litre pack.
    2. Buy the ingredients to make D-72 (very similar to Dektol) from scratch, and then you can mix up precisely what you want and no more.
    3. Mix a bull fatch and use it up. Print another shot too, or make contact sheets or other prints.

The stock solution will keep for a few months. You can mix up the 3.8-litre pack, and only use part of it. Dilute the portion you need to do your prints, and save the rest for another batch of developing in a week or two or ten.

13. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

He, he, he..... spell checker strikes again!

14. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Jim, I can mix my own D-72.... I have been doing that, actually. Sadly, at the quantity I purchase, it costs me more than double of buying a gallon bag of Dektol.

But that really isn't the problem. I just wanted to make ONE print with minimum of stock solution. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I got side tracked today.

15. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    tkamiya. The drum option might be your best bet.

Richard Henry did fairly extensive densitometric testing of Dektol at various dilutions, development times with factorial development etc. At dilutions greater than 1+2 dmax began to fall off even with increased development time and there was increasing compression of all densities > approx 1.5. Further, development times greater than 8 minutes tended to cause fogging problems. Granted, these tests were with Ilfobrom in the 80s, but still probably directionally useful.

16. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It depends on the paper you're using, many have a developer built in, which simply on it's own can develop to a deep grey, which just needs a little extra developer to get to full dMax.

17. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's an Adorama store brand RC paper. I have no idea who actually manufacturers these paper....

I'm going to try drum for the first time.

18. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Adorama store brand a lot and my normal dilution for dektol is 1:4. I used to use 1:2, 2 minutes and could never see much difference between 1:30 and 2:00. Now with 1:4 I usually go about 2:15, but I can't see much difference after 2:00. I use a method similar to single tray, except it's "single container".

19. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice typo I did there :smile:

20. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My bull fatch didn't last.

21. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ended up catching flu/cold and I am bored, tired, and unable to concentrate at the same time. I so much want to print!!!

22. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bummer. I hope you feel better soon. I too have learned to stay out of the darkroom when I'm tired and unable to concentrate.

23. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I learned to stay out when I have had a few. Don't ask.