How has photography changed the way you engage the world beyond your work?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ohnewton35, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ohnewton35

ohnewton35 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

My name is Omari, a photographer and industrial designer based in Atlanta, GA. Design constitutes a large portion of my life and has greatly affected the way that I think about the world around me and problems I face. Because of this I've become curious as to how other's passions and professions have affected the way that they engage the world around them beyond their work. I would love to get a few responses and encourage you to highlight any of the passions or professions you feel have most drastically affected your worldview and thinking process.

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Creative thought within virtually any subject.

3. OP
    ohnewton35

ohnewton35 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Creativity has been defined by so many people in different ways. How would you say you employ creativity to a problem? For instance I feel that as a designer I see the world as interactions between systems and as a result I approach problems in the same systematic process I approach design projects.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since I have been taking photographs since I was ten years old, I seriously doubt that one could prove that theory either way for me.

5. OP
    ohnewton35

ohnewton35 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So would you see because you've been a photographer so long that you are more aware of your surroundings? Does photographer's eye catch you at odd times? I find that photography in particular is one of the more changing passions to have because with the democratization of photographic equipment people are really forced to ask themselves what it is they want to show the world if they wish to set themselves apart. Whats do you see beauty in that everyone else might tae for granted and keep going about their day?

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always remember myself as very observant even before I got my first camera.

7. Richard.L

Richard.L Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Omari,
    the most interesting question, the one with the most potential of the month, BUT it is
    like asking people at Popeyes, or Burger Burger, if they think that vegans have a better life experience.

playing aperture, aperture, little star, how do I calculate what you are… isn’t getting anyone past their first steps.

Photography isn’t the ring around the lens, nor the chemical in the bottle, even though playing ring around the lens is comforting and so easy.

8. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have learned to read backwards pretty well, and upside down.

9. OP
    ohnewton35

ohnewton35 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have to disagree. Since I became a photographer I feel that I've become alot more observant of my surroundings. In particular I consider myself a street photographer and because of that inwardly made distinction I make it a priority to always be attentive of my surroundings when so much as walking to the bus stop. Design is a bit different. Because of design I see the world as an interaction of people with systems. That has lead me to see the world alot more mechanically and approach problems through the same process I use when I am designing new things. As such I'm considering more than just how something looks but how people interact with it, what their expectation for how something should work are, and what they want the object to actually do. Questions as simple as, 'what is comfort' intrigue me. Pair this with extremely observational lifestyle and you've got someone who is forever curious yet intentional.

10. Dali

Dali Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You wrote "I have to disagree."

What make you think that your experience is universal and people could not have a different point of view?

Back to your original question, my answer would be : No. Put literature instead of photography and my answer would be : Yes.

11. OP
    ohnewton35

ohnewton35 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well that's exactly my point. It's not universal. My view continues to change as I encounter new problems, methods and people. I mentioned my own worldview to show how two passions have facilitated a worldview- not to insinuate that others should also share mine. Whether it's photography or literature both are forms of expression and communication. I don't see how one could develop a worldview from literature and not through the actions which govern his daily activity and it is for this reason that I am inclined to say that someone working for NASA as a nuclear scientist likely has a different way of approaching new problems and exploring the world than myself or any other person with passions and a profession.

12. Dali

Dali Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see what you mean but it is true for any activity, not specific to photography. So what is your question? It is not very clear (or at least I don't understand your point) as the title makes reference to photography but your comments are related to hobbies and professional activities...

13. OP
    ohnewton35

ohnewton35 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will admit to having been looking for most any profession or passion but made the assumption that because I directed it to APUG that I would be speaking to an audience whose predominant answer would be photography based. The question extends to any activity. Perhaps I could've been more clear.