How is a pentax a3000?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Visionist, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Visionist

Visionist Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've read mixed things about this camera and how it uses auto settings instead of manual? I can pick up a great condition A3000 for 20$(Body only) but I will be most likely getting a Ricoh KR-III with a 50mm K-mount lens that will work for both cameras if I'm not mistaken. Should I get the A3000 as well?

[​IMG]

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know anything about the A3000 so can't help you there. I did recently get an as new condition Ricoh KR-10x with K mount which I am very pleased with.

Although the Ricoh can be used in manual, I will probably use it on aperture priority when I am out with a camera but not out for the purpose of photography.

When I'm pretending to be a photographer, I try to use one of my manual only cameras. There is room for both types and there's nothing wrong with using automatic modes - especially in non-challenging lighting conditions.

If you can afford it, $20 isn't much to pay for it so why not? If you're only going to get one though, the Ricoh might be a better choice.

Steve.

3. Visionist

Visionist Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    According to some website, if you cover the DX sensors you can manually set the ISO as the camera thinks it is non DX film. That seems a lot better?

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For $20 you can't go wrong. Use it as a backup.

Jeff

5. Carl V

Carl V Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    These cameras were known as the A3 here in the UK and came out in the mid-1980's approximately. I remember when I was in retailing back then, we used to get some of the cameras returned with the same fault which was the built-in winder. However for the price you quote, if it's in good working order then it's worth having.

6. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Watch the lens, while any K mount lens is usable on either camera in manual the cameras use different "auto" contacts, the Ricoh P will not work in program mode on the Pentax, nor the Pentax A lense on the Ricoh