How is the availabilty of 4x5 and 8x10 colour film?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Magnus W, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Magnus W

Magnus W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of Ektachrome, Provia, and Velvia here.
    Local sources claims that it is nigh on impossible to buy large format pos. colour nowadays. What say you?

-- MW

2. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're willing to go international, B&H in NYC has 4x5 Provia, Velvia and various Ektachrome products in stock, and Provia and various Ektachrome in 8x10 in stock.

They show a total of 11 different color transparency emulsions in 4x5 and 7 in 8x10. Several of these are also available in Readyload/Quickload for 4x5.

How long they will be around is a different question.

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Your local sorces are wrong. You may have to mail-order, but with internet that's easier than it's ever been.

I've bought various stuff from www.nordfoto.de - good prices, and cheaper shipping than from the USA. They list several colour positive films in 4x5", 9x12cm, 13x18cm and 8x10".

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't know about Sweden, but I can walk in to Pictureline in Salt Lake, and in short order purchase all three in 4x5, including 64T. I suspect your "local sources" may have a personal agenda.

5. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H is your`re best bet, and the most reasonably priced alternative.
    Thanks for the Nordfoto link Ole, they still have some Agfa in stock I see, and reasonable prices.
    Except on anything 8x10. :smile: A 50-sheet box of b&w film still comes out 500kr cheaper from B&H(!) What is it with Europe and 8x10?

6. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, your sources are kinda misinformed. Even here in South Australia I could get Velvia and Ektachrome out of the fridge at the local pro lab, and at a competitive price. The internet has made things much easier for photographers to source materials though, so basically it's just a Google search away at worst - Or a quick query here at APUG.

7. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think that may be historical...

Europe (an Germany in particular) used to be "metric" - 9x12, 13x18, 18x24 and so on. In recent years more and more have switched to the "imperial" sizes - 4x5", 5x7", 8x10". Unfortunately this coincided with the switch to d*g*tal... So with more and more colour films being scanned, the advantage of 8x10" over the smaller sizes pretty much disappeared. And so did 18x24cm, without being replaced with 8x10".

Personally I'm happy as long a I can get 13x18 colour film - I buy B&W in 5x7" and colour in 13x18. Two sets of holders, and I'm never in any doubt as to which holder holds which film!

8. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When last I was in Detroit I was told by the folks at Adray (troy) and Camera Mart that kodak's min order requirements make stocking lf and even roll film a problem.

9. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Didn't know about Nordfoto. Are they cheaper than Fotoimpex ?

10. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Relative prices vary, but at least I've found Nordfoto to be extremely quick! They have a rather high minimum order (especially to customers outside the EU), but with prices being what they are I don't really find that a problem :smile:

11. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh you stubborn Norwegians, why don't you join the EU, so you'll be able to pay cheaper shipping fees from Germany ? :D

12. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know about 8x10, but 4x5 is available here in Wellington, colour neg and positive.

A bit pricey mind, and cheaper to order from the US. Prices from Europe can also be competitive, quite often lower than from the US, as we don't have to pay the VAT (being outside of the EU). Shipping from Europe is often quite a bit cheaper than from the US - no idea why!.

With B+W film, it is cheaper for me to order from the UK and have it sent to NZ, than it was to order the same film and have it sent to NL!

13. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the current low Dollar I just buy from B+H. They ship as quickly as any of the EU suppliers, and even with Moms and the postage you come out well ahead.

If you need pro service and turnaround - or can't wait - places like YFO, Kameradoktorn and Prolabbet/Procenter all have sheet film in stock, although 8x10 is rarer than 4x5. Fuji Sweden have always been helpful when I have tried to source oddball sizes or emulsions, so you can always contact them directly if you cannot get what you want at the usual pro shops. There are also local-only suppliers like Bildteknik in Malmö who are almost perverse in their lack of advertising, but who have sheet film in stock if you actually go there and look in the fridge.

Ask around. The university photo and repro people here in Lund have always been very helpful when I have needed local info, especially after a few minutes' idle chat about LF.

14. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome E100G, 8x10, 10 sheets:
    YFO: SEK 1492 + 25% (special order)
    B+H: SEK 586 + postage + 25% (in stock)

Not a hard choice.

15. Magnus W

Magnus W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, this is what I found too. After a quick check I found 3 domestic and 6 European dealers, all with film in stock. But the feller with which I am debaiting claims that the films are so rarely actually available, that they might as well be regarded as discontinued for all intents and purpouses.

Which triggered my BS-o-meter.

-- MW

16. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sweden is a small market with low turnover and many layers of distribution. The pros just stump up the asking price, and the snapshooters are happy with super-low price mail-order processing, but there is no real equivalent to the "advanced amatuer" type of service you find in larger markets.

I have some sympathy with retailers here (although not the ones who bullshit). They have high overheads, high sales tax, and high staff costs. Here in Lund we have a very good consumer photo shop (Mattssons) who seem to have effectively made the transition to profitably selling digital equipment and print-making services, but who also are prepared to dig through the catalogues and special-order anything I want. The problem is the distributors who vary from great to dreadful in their level of service, and always take a cut that makes local purchases uneconomic.

My impression is that the sheet film pros have almost entirely gone digital. Ikea used to order a batch of five lorry-loads of film from Fuji each year. No more. We amatuers who clung pimple-like to the backside of that industry cannot do so any more.

But. While efficient mail-order suppliers exist elsewhere in the world, the pain is mostly felt by local shops who would otherwise have a captive market. For me in Lund, buying from B+H is no more hassle than buying from anyone else, be they in Sweden, Europe or Japan.

One more tip: for Fuji film you might want to look at

http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/

17. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am in the US and do most of my film buying from B&H, Midwest and Badger but I also buy from Nord, especially 13x18 as hey seem to have more in stock more of the time ... additionally, there are many more emulsions available in 13x18 than in 5x7.

BTW, we published a comprehensive chart of all available sheet film sizes last January and I am in the midsts of updating it now. If anyone has info on the availability of either Lucky or ERA films in shet sizes I'd appreciate a pointer to same.

18. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am in the US and do most of my film buying from B&H, Midwest and Badger but I also buy from Nord, especially 13x18 as hey seem to have more in stock more of the time ... additionally, there are many more emulsions available in 13x18 than in 5x7.

BTW, we published a comprehensive chart of all available sheet film sizes last January and I am in the midst of updating it now. If anyone has info on the availability of either Lucky or ERA films in sheet sizes I'd appreciate a pointer to same.

19. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload films I use need to be mail ordered, since local stock is often limited. I ony shoot E-6 films, though it might be of interest that no pro labs locally do C-41 4x5 processing. My most used mail order locations are B&H in New York, and Badger Graphic Sales in Wisconsin. Outside of those two, I sometimes find good deals on shortdated films on EBAY, though more Fuji than Kodak to be found there.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

20. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4X5 certainly seems pretty readily availble in the UK, I know Calumet has it in the fridge, both neg and pos. My local lab also has it too.