How is the Bessa R3A viewfinder for eyeglasses wearer?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Bill Mitchell, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Can you see the 50mm lines? How about the 40mm lines? Thanks.

2. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The 75 and 90 lines are sharp and clear. :smile:

I can see 2 of the 4 lines at 40 very easily. If I tilt my head just slightly I can see the other two. I can see all sides sometimes, but it isn't automatic. I can see the top 3 at 50mm all of the time. But not the bottom line for some reason.

Actually, the big problem with me is that I use the meter, which means that I have to close my left eye and look down a little anyway. Also, I find it hard to focus with both eyes open. The meter is also hard to see in very bright light.

I really like this camera even with the glasses issue. The color heliar 75 and the nokton 40 I have a great. I wish that it could do double exposure just because I fire a blank frame every once in a while by accident!

Best,

Will

3. troym

troym Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wear glasses and I can see the 50mm framelines without a problem. There isn't a bottom frameline for the 50, by the way, just two bottom "corners."

The 40mm framelines are much closer to the edge of the viewfinder, but I got over my initial frustration about that.

I find that if I look straight ahead at the focus patch and don't try to hunt around looking for the framelines, I can see them.

Also, I use the AE most of the time, so seeing the meter reading for every shot is not so critical to me.

4. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually remove my glasses when using the R3A. Yesterday, though, I forgot to leave my glasses in my car, so I was stuck with them. I found that I could fairly easily see the 50mm framelines, however, I had to hunt for the shutter-speed readout. I seriously doubt that one could see the 40mm framelines with glasses.

I'm fortunate, though, in that my eyeglass prescription is pretty weak, so I tend to shoot without my glasses on. Right now I'm hunting for a diopter for my R3A.

It may be a bit of a PITA for the moment, but seriously, that 1:1 VF is the sweetest thing I've ever used and it's all worth it.

Kent

5. Frank-G

Frank-G Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Only the 40mm frame-lines are a problem, even when I take my glasses off.