How is the Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm wondering how is this lens in terms of sharpness, image distortion, contrast. ect.
    Can someone inform me?

2. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Extremely sharp and contrasty, for a single-coated lens (It's the most contrasty single-coated lens I've ever seen). very little distortion. It's weakness is susceptibility to flare due to the single coating, but even there it's quite good for a SC lens.

A superb lens. If flare is a concern, the SMC-Takumar version is extremely flare resistant due to the SMC coatings.

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I saw somewhere that is has extemely high resolving power

4. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Super-Multi-Coated version, and bought it because it has an excellent reputation (even though it's pretty slow for a 35). But it's a fine lens -- very sharp indeed, very low distortion as far as I can tell. And it's quite compact.

5. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice lens, I have that, a Takumar semi automatic version and the Super Multi Coated 35 f2, its nice glass, nice and contrasty.

Bill

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Marko

One of the best of its day -- but of course quite hard to focus, especially on the murky screens of yesteryear. Scale/zone focusing is sometimes a better idea than visual focusing.

Cheers,

R.

7. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Roger, I've not had any problems focusing my ST 35/3.5, even on the wee tiny viewfinder on my K100D digital. It's surprisingly easy to focus for a slow, wide lens.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Fair enough -- unless you're used to anything faster. I've just been using a 35/2 Zeiss on a Nikon F and even with the old screens it fairly snaps in and out of focus. Of course f/3.5 also covers up focusing errors with depth of field...

Cheers,

R.

9. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I Find that a lens (50mm 1.8) on a 350D is brigher at f5.6 that my pentax lens on my Spotmatic.

10. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    An excellent lens. I have one in near-mint condition and as well as the fine optics (which you asked about) the mechanical actions (which you didn't ask about) are, in my opinion, second to none.

Steve