How I've decided to store 8x10 negatives

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by John Bartley, Jun 3, 2006.

1. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    After reading here, researching on the internet and browsing thru' office supply and photography stores, I finally found a product that I think will keep my negatives safe. I found a referral to this product on ( IIRC ) the government of Canada Archives website as being one of the products that they use. It is described as "archival" and is specified for negatives. Here's what it looks like : http://www.printfile.com/product.cfm?ProductID=21031085 I found it a bit dear at first, being about $0.33 per negative, but compared to the effort expended to create the negative, I guess it's not so bad. The next job is to find a binder that will hold exactly 100 of these so that they will stand flat without sagging.

Any comments ?

2. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Troy Hamon

Troy Hamon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Might be better to plan to have the binders laying flat if you are really concerned about sagging. The nature of 3-ring binders is inherently a bit of sag in the contents unless they lay flat. I store all of my work prints and printing notes with negatives and lay the binders flat for this reason...FWIW.

5. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the same thing but I put hanger bars through the spine and store them in a hanging file cabinet. You can get hanging files with the metal bars at Wal Mart cheaper than you can get the bars separately from suppliers. I shuck the paper off the bars and make a pile to keep in the darkroom for storage. If you are a busy worker you and have no time for that you can get them at Light Impressions and a few other places as well.

6. Campbell

Campbell Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I keep mine in envelopes sold by Light Impressions, then keep the envelopes in a black box (upright) also sold by Light Impressions. I like the envelopes because it's easy to write plenty of information on them and I like keeping the negatives stored upright.

7. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Printfile Storage

8. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That is an interesting comment and a fact that I though about as I slid my negative into the sleeves. (my sleeves arrived last week) What I did was curl the negative slightly so that the emulsion side was inthe curve and then it slid in without ever touching the emulsion. It is true that I am going to have to be careful.

cheers

9. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Scratching Protection for Negs

Balanced Seam Envelopes and Interleaving Folders For Prints And Negative: Light Impressions is what I have used for many years and have yet to find any scratches because the 3-mil polyester folders protect the neg as you remove or imsert them. rs are : Respective product numbers are ;
    5290 and 20084.