How many cameras do you own?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by braxus, Oct 8, 2006.

1. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At just bidding on and winning a used Canon EOS 1N body, I thought this would make an interesting question for others. I certainly did not really need yet another camera, but I was looking regardless. I guess I can call myself a collector as I must be buying myself my 14th camera so far. I've had other cameras too which I didn't keep long and sold such as a Nikon F70 and Contax 139. Every buy seems to be a progression from the previous ones or how I've grown in knowledge over the years. I started out with a Kodak Instamatic 126 X-15F camera. I used that for a number of years till I grew into my teens and started to learn 35mm. I bought myself a Canon T70 and then got the T90. I eventually sold both of those, but I inheritted my moms old AE-1 which I still use on occassion. For fun I got a 120 format Holga since I had no medium format camera at the time. It saved me as my AE-1 on an important shoot stopped functioning, so the Holga came to the rescue. If it weren't for the distaste of the model thinking the Holga was a toy, we would have gotten more pictures that day. I also own two Super 8mm Sound Elmo cameras. From there I finally bought a used Pentax 6x7 which I've been wanting since I was 17. I was 33 at the time I got it. Since the AE-1 was Ka-put, I decided to go autofocus and bought an Elan 7. This is probably my main camera today. I found on occassion my focus was off and the autofocus really helped there. I even have my dad's old Polaroid 100 Land camera. It still works. I'm amazed you can still get film for it. I bought a used 120 folder camera- the Franka Rolfix 6x9- for fun. I don't use it much due to its quality and the fact my lab won't print 6x9 negs. Always liking 4x5 I bought a used Graflex Speed Graphic. Its fun to use those big negs. Going to digital I bought Kodak 5 megapixel which I leave in my car for those driving shots when I need a camera, plus a Rebel XT which I recently sold due to lack of use, but I still seem to prefer shooting film. I also bought a Canon FTb-N to go back to basics and the K1000 metering style. That camera should work well with my FL bellows. And back to medium format I got the original Pentax 645 manual focus, hoping to trim some camera bag weight and more 35mm like use with its motor winder and 15 frames per roll. I not long ago bought a cell phone with a 2 megapixel camera in it. Does that even count as a real camera? Now again Im back to 35mm with a more pro camera with the EOS 1N. I really wanted the 1V, but the 1N price was right ($240 US) and I can still get the 1V in the future (if Im still using film as much as I do today). I hope this all stops soon as I'm running out of places to put all these, and not to mention my cost of insurance will skyrocket for replacement value. Is this a camera sickness I've picked up? Its hard since film cameras are so cheap these days and good deals are everywhere. One day I'll go back to digital, but for now Im sticking with film cameras. I realize this is a 35mm forum, but this would apply to any format camera that you may own. I guess part of this sickness was due to that important shoot I had were my camera quit working (it was with a beautiful girl I liked at the time), and Im making up for it today to never be in that position again. I guess I've gone overboard to say the least. To make a story short I lost the girl, but gained a dozen cameras. So let the replies flow in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006
  2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The number I tell my hubby, ore the real number?

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wasn't aware there was a thread like that- as I hadn't seen it.

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just edited my post to include the link to the other thread on this topic.

Dave

6. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see it. Replied for posterity. Well if anyone feels like adding to this thread, be my guest. A year ago I actually had 14, but have since gotten rid of and gained a few.

7. jkairvar

jkairvar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The number of cameras should not exceed three-one main workhorse and other two stand-byes for changing over to prime or desired focal-length zooms while shooting or to accommodate weight of gear in backpack while travelling and shooting either in 35 mm or medium formats otherwise the numbers become difficult to maintiain and would become more of a fad or collectors items-jkairvar

8. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I thought that was for large format camera. :confused:

9. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

True, its in the largeformat forum ... :tongue:

Far as how many I own... that depends... 35mm , medium or large?

heres all the 35s ( aside from my EOS-1 ) I own (also note one of them isnt a 35mm but I guess I consider it close to the same )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for medium format, I got a Mamiya C33 TLR, Mamiya RB67, Zeiss Nettar 515, kodak No.1 6x9 Folding Junior, a Franka Rollfix Jr 6x9, Couple box brownies, and some others.

For large format, I just got my crown graphic 4x5 for the moment.

10. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Until now, I don't think I have ever counted them. I have several old, nonfunctional cameras that I am not counting in this list.

35mm - 3
    Medium Format - 5
    Large Format - 2
    Pinhole - 1
    Zone Plate - 1
    Digital - 2 - or 3 if you count the thing on my cell phone. I don't count it and, contrary to my employer's wishes, I won't use it

Dan Williams

11. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the title only says...

"Confess-How many camera do you own!"

and I have noticed that there are quite a few more cameras in this thread than just LF gear... No reason to be confused...

Dave

12. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're new around here, aren't you? :wink:

13. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before I even came to APUG I had more than three... :tongue:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Vincent DiPietro

Vincent DiPietro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well lets see: I've got 4 Contax 35mm slrs
    3 Kodaks 1] A Kodex from 1940?
    2] A Hawk-Eye from C1920's
    3] A Brownie Bullseye C1950's
    1 Olympus point and shoot
    1 Panasonic FZ20 digital

That's a grand total of 9 but I almost never use the Kodaks or the Olympus. The Panasonic I just got yesterday.

The 4 Contaxes I use every week- I take two out at a time- the RX/S2 Aria/139Q . This weekend they worked overtime as there were 3 parades going on. The Korean, The Hispanic and the Columbus day parades.

16. anyte

anyte Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I only own two 35mm cameras. One is equipped with a 50mm lens the other with a zoom (eventually to be replaced with a long prime).

17. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    35mm cameras? Well - umm - 2 Welta Weltis, one Vito CL, one Bessa-L, one Bessa-T, one FED-2, one Pentax MZ5n, one Stereo Realist. That's it - unless I count one Bronica ETRS with 135W back...

That's only 8 or 9!

18. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Shame. 5 Leicas. Only abusing.

19. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    OMG, on a rough guess, I have about 17!

Good thing I starting with MF, means no additional 35mm's! :rolleyes:

20. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 4 Pentax Spotmatic, 1 Kiev 4a (actually 3, but only one is working), 1 FED 3, 1 Zorki 4 and a Olympus Mju II.

Trond

21. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Lost count years ago. Who cares? Of the dozens I own, I probably use under a dozen regularly and some are of historical interest only.

Cheers,

R

22. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Braxus - Enjoyed the camera history of your life so far. I think many of us are also occasionally tempted to lay out our camera history, because to each of us there is real adventure involved with each experience, some good, some bad - tho if we elaborated I suspect everybody would leave the party. I managed your story just fine, but had dig to find the questions, three, I guess:

1 - "I not long ago bought a cell phone with a 2 megapixel camera in it. Does that even count as a real camera?" Answer: Hell No and see #3

2 - "... I'm running out of places to put all these, and not to mention my cost of insurance will skyrocket for replacement value. Is this a camera sickness I've picked up?" Answer: Yes. Join the party. Go broke

3 - "I realize this is a 35mm forum, but this would apply to any format camera that you may own." I assume "this" reads as "insanity of acquisition", and your sentence is meant as a question. That the case, within the warm, all-analog-camera heart of APUG, the answer is: The more cameras (of any kind) you have, the crazier you are. A good thing.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2006
  23. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm: Olympus XA, Ricoh P&S, Nikon FM2n, Kiev 4A, (soon to be) Zeiss Ikon
    Medium Format: Hasselblad 501CM, Rolleicord III, Graflex 22
    Large Format: Just a twinkle in the eye :smile:

24. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    3, pentax spotmatic, canon t50 and konica autoreflex
    More if P&s counts

25. bob01721

bob01721 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35: Four Minolta SRTs
    LF: Burke & James 4x5 monorail

26. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Quite a few, although I quit counting a couple of years ago. Much more than most but not nearly as many as some but certainly more than I need.

Six Rolleiflexes, I think. Seven or eight Ikoflexes. Two Contax II, three or five Contax IIa, two or three Contax IIIa, a bunch of Retinas (no duplicates), several Super Ikonta C cameras, numerous folders (Agfa, Zeiss Ikon and Kodak/Nagel mostly), several Rollei 35 (B, T and S too), four Box Tengors, a Super Nettel, Nettax 35mm, Tenax II, East German Tenax, a couple of Contarex, a Rolleiflex SL 35 E, SL26 and SL66 and several more here and there that I know I've missed.

I dumped all my Leica M stuff ... too heavy and the offensive elitism of some Leica users sort of turned me off on the brand. I still have a IIIf with a Summitar.

I go back and forth on unloading my Agfas and/or Voigtlanders (pre-1970 stuff).

I guess I have about 20 or 30 favorites: Contax IIa, Super Ikonta C, Nettax 35mm rangefinder, Tenax II, Zeiss Ikon (the new one), some of the Rolleiflex TLRs, my original Nikons and others that cycle in and out of the user pile.

I have a Nikon S out on loan, and I sold my Cosina Voigtlander Bessa-R.

Four cameras that I want to finish restoring and use: Miroflex 9x12, Contaflex TLR, National Graflex Series II, 6x9 Mess Ikonta.