how many faucets?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Dave Wooten, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Am beginning the plumbing project for the dark room....what is your Ideal number and set ups of faucets, hot and cold etc....my sink is 60" x 24" x 4 " deep, I do have a bit of room to add deeper film washer sink but would have to be customed from wood,

2. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think every square inch of the sink should be able to be reached by a hose. My 17' L sink has 5 faucets running mixed H/C water.

3. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My sink is 7.5 feet and I have 2 faucets. Just be sure there's space in your darkroom for the refrigerator containing at least a six pack of Moose Drool.

4. Peter Rockstroh

Peter Rockstroh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 3 faucets: one over the left side of the sink, fitted with a short hose and pressure valve to fill paper developer trays; one in the middle with filtered water to prepare film developers, and one over the right side of the sink, hooked to the print washer.
    I stopped using temperature regulators for the darkroom water, since my water temperature fluctuations over a one year period are less than 10 C. I mostly have to lower the temperature and use ice from the fridge.

5. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would think that 2 would be a minimum. That way you can be washing film and still have a second faucet to wash your hands.

6. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I have an 8' sink and soon a 3' wash sink. I have 2 mixers and 3 colds. Maybe 1 more cold, so that I have a spare, would be good.

7. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My sink is 9 1/2 Ft. I have hot and cold faucets at each end and a cold only hose with shower head in the center for washing tanks and trays.

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how many faucets? Two.

One water, one Farrah. ;-)

9. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 9-foot sink, and 3 faucets--- an auto-temp controller on each end, and a regular kitchen faucet in the center.

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think if I were building a new darkroom I'd put one temp controller at the front of the line, because I usually want one temperature at a time (i.e., I don't do color and B&W on the same day). Then let's see--one spigot for handwashing and water for mixing chemicals, one for the washer, one for a running water rinse tray (in place of a stop), and maybe one for a water jacket if needed--4 total, and maybe a fifth for something I haven't considered. It's not too expensive to add faucets when you're installing everything new, so why not?

11. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 4 faucets from the water panel and a sink with a mixer with the hot side direct from the heater and the cold from the water panel.

12. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No matter how many faucets you install, I would "stub out" from the hot and from the cold for future use.

13. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    good idea!

14. sajianphotos

sajianphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2. One in the sink and one in the bathtub. Three if the toilet counts :smile:

15. Nacio Jan Brown

Nacio Jan Brown Member

Faucets are cheap so don't skimp. I have 5 hose bib type faucets fastened along the underside of a shelf above my 12' sink. Each has a brass quick-coupler device I got at HD. The pipe between is PVC. The 20x24" print washer stays attached to the one at the right end. When printing 11x14 or smaller I attach an old East Street washer to the next faucet to the left. Next to the left is a tray-type washer for an initial print rinse... All of the hose bibs get regular use (though not all at once).

16. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    20' (12'/8') of sink, 5 valves in total coming off the two PVC lines. Each valve has a length of rubber tubing that varies in length up to about 3' so I can direct water anywhere in the sink.

The PVC line has a Hass temperature controller at the head. I also have a single dedicated hot/cold faucet.

17. pnance

pnance Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My sink is 10' x 30" x 5.5". I have a standard kitchen faucet in the middle, and after the filter/temp unit a 4 outlet manifold (from Harbor Freight), each port with its own valve and a tubing connector, one with a hose for washing film, and connections for the print washers.

18. Keith Pitman

Keith Pitman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a 10' sink with four water outlets. Two are Powers thermo-valves, one of which is permanently attached to the print washers, and the other I use primarily for mixing chemicals. The other two are mixing faucets. On one of these I have a kitchen spray hose that's very useful for cleaning my hands after they've been in solutions, cleaning up the sink and other wet-side item, etc.

19. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Two faucets for an eight foot sink. Later as I added more water use equipment I got one of these four way splitters. I found mine at Home Depot. Whiteymorange suggested here.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=90955. Design for what you need, plus, and remember that these exist if your plans grow over time.

John Powers

20. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an 8 foot sink and a separate cart for a 20 x 24 print washer. I have 3 outlets fed by a Hass Intellifaucet. Wish I had one more.