How many have a medium format projector?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JDP, Jun 17, 2010.

1. JDP

JDP Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    I was wondering how many people have and use a medium format slide projector?

If you havn't tried one yet I can strongly recommend them. I havn't come accross a 35mm or digital projector which comes anywhere near them in terms of picture quality. The colours, shades, '3D ness', sparkle and details are all wonderful.....

2. Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yep :D

Started out with a Procabin, but then shortly afterwards was able to change it for a Hasselblad PCP-80.

3. Les

Les Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the Hassi PCP projector and I agree that there is nothing like the quality of the projected image from this projector. It is the only 6x6 projector I have ever used so I can't compare one to another, but compared to 35mm image projection 6x6 is great.

4. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, but at the other end of the scale I have a 110 projector!

Steve

5. Marek Warunkiewicz

Marek Warunkiewicz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got one for 20 dollars, it's really lovely and deco, made in the 30s but in great shape.

6. Atto

Atto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I really want one, but it is hard to find 6x7 projectors and also there is a question of price. 6x6 are much cheaper.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been looking for one, just got outbid on one at auction. I have a GAF/Sawyers for 35mm that takes carousel or box magazines.

8. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Kinderman that seems to work pretty well and it didn't cost all that much when I bought it around 30 years ago. I don't know how it compares in quality to other medium format projectors. The images seem so much more life-like, brighter and sharper than 35mm.

Dave

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two. One of these days, I am going to have to shot some 120 chrome ... :smile:

I could be wrong, but I think a 6x7 frame is very close to the size of an Imax frame.

10. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a Kindermann projector, too. When I used it at a workshop to project a few images, after the 35mm shooters had projected theirs, the oohs and aahs coming from the other workshop attendees were immediate. Digital projectors are so inferior to any film projectors!

11. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a rollei 6x6 projector for sale around the corner. I think for about $60.
    I was considering buying it but I was think that a scan and display on a HDTV would probably be just as good, if not better.
    Thoughts?

12. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got an old one, feed one at a time, dodgy fan, but projects wonderfully. I've used it to rephotograph some transparencies.

Darin: $60? I wouldn't hesitate.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A really good scan, on a good HDTV, will look nice.

A projected slide, on a good screen will look better.

And if you want to project bigger, on a bigger screen, most of the digital projectors really struggle.

At $60.00, if it is in working condition, BUY IT.

I have a Rollei P66S projector, that I paid $200.00 CDN for.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Rollei P 66 universal I paid £40 about twenty three years ago second hand the quality that it can produce from modern 120 slide films on a 60"X60" screen is amazing.

16. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone ever had the guts to do polarized-3D 6x6 projections??? You might find yourself walking into the screen if you're not careful! :wink:

17. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you think even a 60" HDTV image with 1920x1000 resolution could ever equal a 60" projected slide?! Digital cameras like the 7D have 5184 pixels but a HDTV only can show 37% of the resolution of a good digital camera!

18. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dunno..
    It's not all about resolution you know.
    If you are projecting slides, I believe color, brightness, and contrast are just as important as resolution.

Frankly I was not all that impressed with my 35mm slides of Kauai projected.
    But perhaps MF projected would be much better?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Medium format slides need to be in glass mounts to stop them "popping from the heat of the projection lamp, and there is also such a large area of film that it needs to be kept flat to ensure the edges of the image are sharp.

20. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At $60.00 for a 6X6 projector is a steal. Grab it & someone here would most likely take it off your hands.
    Face it, They are real uncommon.

21. warrennn

warrennn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Leitz Prado 6x6 projector with manual feed. It cost about $500 on ebay (5 years ago?) and has a superb, very uniform and bright illumination system together with a very good projection lens. It also runs cool using a halogen bulb (the cooling system is supposedly the same as the one in the Hasselblad projector), though the fan is a bit noisy. I don't use glass cover plates and do need to refocus between the center and edges of the image, though the slides don't "pop" very often (effective cooling system?).

Unfortunately, I use it rarely due to the nuisance of mounting slides and setting the thing up - I tend to look at the transparencies using a light table and loupe. As I get into home developing of E6, I think I will start using it more.

22. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Rollei P66 as well. It's a 6x6 (and 35 mm) projector. But I use mostly my 6x7 camera. Is there such a thing called 6x7 projector? Are there 6x7 slide mount out there? Can a Rollei P66 project 6x7 slides? I got my P66 at a flea market for $15 with a dismantled zoom lens. It took me less than an hour to correctly assemble all the glass elements and restored the lens. It works flawlessly now. But I would really like to project 6x7 slides. Is there such a thing as 6x7 slides?

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can mount 6x7 transparencies, but the projectors designed to take them are either:
    1) hard to find and expensive; or
    2) adaptations of earlier, older equipment like lantern slide projectors.

24. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Prado Universal as a permanent loan since 1999. Very nice but I rarely use it as my main interest is not chromes but black and white and in between.

25. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Digital projectors...

...it is easy to see each pixel, even from not far away...Pixel count matters!
    ...few digital projectors reproduce the full color spectrum even reasonably close (unless you spend thousand of dollars on a projector)

26. JDP

JDP Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good to hear people are using MF projectors!

Sounds like some people have got real bargains when purchasing them.

If you havn't yet tried one, go for it. It is unlikely you will be dissapointed.....