How many of you still use contrast filters

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Poptart, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Poptart

Poptart Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    The under the lens kind? Of course they're a dust magnet but they work. I have an old set of DuPonts that get really low, the yellows being deeper than the Ilford or Kodak equivalents.

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a set of Agfa CC filters. I'm thinking of cutting them down to fit in the filter drawer of my L138S, but haven't got around to it yet.

3. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought an Ilford Multigrade head. So my filters are now built into the enlarger.

4. severian

severian Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    contrast filters

I use filters in printing. I have Ilford 11x11 filters cut down to 8x10. With my 8x10 Elwood enlarger they are put on top of the glass in the negative carrier.
    I cut the #3 smaller than I should have so it goes under the lens. No fancy filter holder for it. I just use tape to keep it in place.
    Jack

5. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford and Fuji. I heard they are almost identical though.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i use kodak polymax filters -
    but i also use varying strength developers and water baths too

7. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the big Ilford filters which go above the condenser in my Beseler 23CII. A great investment and simple to use. My understanding is that they are less of a problem for dust when above the condenser. One of these days, I'd really like to get a dichroic head, but for the moment, the filters are groovy.

Kent

8. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use a filter set up that I got from Rosco filters the equivilant to Green 58 and blue 47b

lee\c

9. Huub S

Huub S Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use a set of Ilford filters in my D2V.

10. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My ancient Beseler dichro head on the 45MXT does not have the magenta capacity needed for a lot of things, so I supplement it with the old style filters. For 35mm I ususlly use a Beseler 35 which has a convenient holder for below the lens filters. Because they are so handy, I use an Ilford filter set there.

11. josephaustin

josephaustin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use under the lens Kodak contrast filters, and split grade filtering almost exclusively.

12. kunihiko

kunihiko Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use fuji filter set under the lens.

13. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use a six inch set of Ilford filters under the lens in a 12x12 cold light Durst 138S conversion for 8x10. 4x5 negatives and smaller go through a dial in variable contrast Saunders 4550XLG/VCCE Enlarger.

John Powers

14. juanito

juanito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the ILFORD set. Because I have a dichro head I use them only when I'm doing some split grade filtering.

15. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the big Ilford filters above the condensor in my D2V. Since the filters are just below the light and far above the negative, they'd have to be downright filthy before the dirt would cause a problem. The Ilford filters are one of the very few things I bought new in my darkroom, and I've never regretted the investment.

I'm sure that under-the-lens filters could be fairly dusty before they would cause a problem, but I know I'd obsess about keeping them clean.

16. Larry L

Larry L Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use both a color head and Ilford filters on my 2 1/4 enlarger. Recently found a brand new set of 150mm Kodak filters (PolyMax II) at a local store for $30 for my D3 4 X 5 enlarger (condenser head with a filter "drawer"). Rebuilding a color head for this unit and will then see which way I go.

Like the filters more than the color head but the later is easier to use.

17. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i paid about 30$ for the kodak polymax 5x5 set (new at bhphotovideo) which i cut down for my 23c. Why are the ilford filters so expensive?

18. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Ilford filters above the condenser. In high school, we used the ones below the lens and the smallest scratches showed up very easily. I could tell which filter I used on which print just by knowing the scratches.

19. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Filters

My Durst Modular 70 has a VC head and is a delight to use. My Laborator 1200 has a multigraph head and is a complete pig to use. Anyone want to do a swap for a devere with VC head (I'm not joking)

20. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a set of Ilford filters that fit the filter drawer of the enlarger but I've just about quit using them. For the most part, my negatives print well without filtration. I've never used those that fit below the enlarging lens. My previous enlarger had no filter drawer but it was easy to pop off the head and place them on the condenser.