How many people in the world make wet plate photos on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by periclimenes, Jan 13, 2008.

1. periclimenes

periclimenes Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi All,

I'm a teacher and one of my students asked me how many people in the world make true wet plate photos on a regular basis. I had no idea, so I defer to your wisdom. 100? 1,000? 10,000?

What's your best guess?

Thanks...

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. periclimenes

periclimenes Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been trying (unsucessfully) to join that forum. I sent the moderator an e-mail as per the instructions, but I have not heard anything back.

Thanks for the reply.

4. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quinn is a busy man. :smile: Give him a little time. If it has been a week, ping him again. He'll get it done.

And enjoy the forum when you get in!

5. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My guess would be less than 1000 worldwide making plates on a regular (or seasonal) basis. I think a lot of the members of both collodion forums haven't picked it up yet. Mosts of the posts are made by the same core group so there are a lot of lurkers who don't practice the process yet. Maybe 30-40 folks show up at John Coffer's annual Tintype Jamboree. He's holding 6 or so workshops/year with 4 in each workshop. Then there's the Ostermans, Will Dunniway, Eric Taubman, Kerik, Michael Mazzeo, Quinn Jacobson and few others holding workshops on a less regular basis. So, the ranks aren't growing too fast though there has been an acceleration lately.

In Michigan, I know of myself and 5 others who currently make plates, and 2 retired from it. I'd bet there are more, but I don't know how many or where they are in the state.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  6. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    i am going to join some day soon.....i am just tryingto get my head around VDB and kallitype bofroe i dive in.

7. Zebra

Zebra Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I shoot wet plate in formats ranging from 5 x 7, full plate, 10 x 12 and when I refuse to take my medication 20 x 24. Gotta go, nurse ratcheds coming down the hall.

Zebra

8. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will be adding one more to the total as soon as I receive Quinn's book and order the chemicals. He did take a week or two to get back to me about joining the forum, but considering he tracked me down to PM me on APUG and has to set up all the accounts manually I'd say that's not a bad turn-around.

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm adding wet-plate to my repertoire this year also - just a matter of scheduling time with an instructor.

10. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I'd love to, but until I have a properly ventilated area to do it in, I will stick to reading about it.

11. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Way more fun in a poorly vented area! Ether, gun-cotton, Everclear, Potassium Cyanide, open flame! What could be better? ;-)

12. Brook

Brook Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One thing for the OP is that there are still at least some wetplate practioners in the third world, primarly ( i think) the middle east. These are often street photographers peddeling little tintypes. I met a photographer from Egypt who told me this is still fairly common as the chemistry is still cheap and avaliable.

I just did a shoot using an old bank vault (read no ventilation) as a makeshift darkroom. I wont work without ventilation again.

13. Ty G

Ty G Guest

If the list includes the guys who use modern darkrooms, lights, cameras, enlargers, aluminum plates etc., then yes it may be over 1000. But if the list is to include only the guys who try to remain as historically correct as possible, then the list may only be 100 or so.

Ty G
    www.tystintypes.com

14. Quinn

Quinn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Greetings,

First; access to the COLLODION.COM FORUM - Mr. Young is correct, I've been very busy and my junk mail filter is over active - I think several people have sent emails to join the board and the filter grabbed them (my apologies) - to resolve that, go here http://www.collodion.com/contact.asp and send me your info, I'll get it and I'll get you on the forum.

Secondly, I believe there are fewer people working in wet plate on a "regular" basis than most think (but it is growing very fast). Most people, I would say 80-90%, that attend a workshop never make a plate at home. A few attempt the process, but most never get setup (equipment, etc.) or never get a handle on the chemistry (can't purchase it, mix it etc). Those that do go on to make images on their own are, relatively speaking, few. There are even fewer who can show you work produced in the last two weeks (at any give time); that's how I would define "regular basis" - producing work as you would with film or other image producing techniques.

However, I may be totally off of the mark and completely up in the night - I usually am.

15. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the update Quinn! I got your book in from Amazon the other day, have read it cover to cover and and now putting together my first chemistry order. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress! :D

16. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree with Quinn's assessment. And, for me, this would include anyone using the wet plate collodion process, regardless of "historical correctness". Those concerned with historical correctness are a much smaller number are generally involved in the reencatment crowd. Most of us using the process to make art aren't concerned with those issues and are happy to use whatever modern tools and materials will facilitate the results we're after.

17. Anton Lukoszevieze

Anton Lukoszevieze Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    wet plate

I would love to do wet plate. I couldn't imagine doing it just on a workshop basis. It would have to be reasonably regular and definite aesthetic decision. I know it may be complicated, but then so is learning Lithuanian (next thing on the list..........) Kerik's work is amazing.

18. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One MSDS I have found for ethyl ether states that a potential side-effect of the ether is "Psychic Disturbance." I think I know what they mean but using the word "psychic" makes it sound like the ghost of Frederick Scott Archer will visit me after breathing too many ether fumes.

- Justin

19. FrederickScottArcher

FrederickScottArcher Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And that is a problem, young man?

20. JamesMadison

JamesMadison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've noticed most of the people who demand "historical correctness" only practice "historical correctness" at their convenience. Yet they are quick to point out the incorrectness of others.

21. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BOOM!!!
    When I had my tonsils out many years ago (about 65) Ether was what they used to put you out. Never hurt me. Now, if I can just find that long lost shaker of salt...