How much bromide does paper release?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Athiril, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Per 8x10 or other unit i can work out into area, does anyone have a ball park figure? I ask because I want to play around with making print replenishing recipe, I know some people will say why bother etc, its just because I want to. The replenisher having less bromide in it compensate is the idea.

I know papers will be different, so any will do or just even the typical ilford multigrade thats so common.

2. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just start your recipe with no bromide, and see how that works. Then just add it as needed.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you know the coating weight of Silver per square meter it's relatively easy to work out. Agfa used to publish figures. 1 gm/sq meter is a good starting point.

Ilford did a lot of work on bromide content of developers in the 1950's, Metol based devs are very sensistive to increased bromide Phenidone types very much less so.

With a paper developer Bromide build up will have a greater affect with warm-tone papers, the more bromide the greater the potential warmth of the tones.

Ian

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both Ethol LPD and Ryuji's DS-14 are self-replenished. A separate replenisher was not deemed necessary.