How much do you print?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Chris Nielsen, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all

I'm getting into this printing thing, but was just wondering how many frames you guys usually print?? I was just thinking about this while hanging up 2 rolls to dry tonight, and wondered what you guys would do if faced with the same 2 rolls of film.. Would you print many of them? Just a couple?

BTW, I am also getting sick of losing 6 frames off each contact sheet because 8x10 paper isn't wide enough.. Grrr...

Thanks all

Chris

P.S. This my 100th post and today I became a subscriber! Woo hoo!!!!

2. Ian David

Ian David Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Chris
    No rules. Just print as many as:
    1. you are interested in printing; and
    2. you have time to print.
    Sometimes, I might print none off a roll, sometimes several. I think I used to print more off each roll than I do now. So many things to do! And I am getting fussier.
    Congrats on the ton.
    Ian

3. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian

I suppose it's a habit from the days when I used to scan, I could quickly get large images of as many of the frames as I want. Of course they look like crap compared to my wet prints as I'm discovering, but it's hard to not rush off and print heaps

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Hi Chris. Myself, most times I've only got time to a couple of negs justice. But that's due to test strips, dodging and burning, ya know, zeroing in on it. And them multiple prints at once. Once I figure my final times, I can't print only one. Most of my sessions run into the 20-30 sheet range from 1-2 negs.

5. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ???? If you lay out your negs in 6 strips of 5 each, that should exactly cover an 8x10 sheet. Why do you lose 6 frames?

As for the 36th (and sometimes 37th) frames, I contact print all those on a separate sheet. Or, if perhaps one roll is not fully exposed, I contact the "ends" with the incomplete roll.

6. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    36 exp = 6 strips of 6. 8x10 is only wide enough for 5 frames wide so I lose the last frame off each strip.

7. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, that's dedication!!! I am prone to multiple test strips for multiple grades, etc, and I try not to save paper at the expense of learning, but, damn, my photos will have to get a lot less sucky before they're worth 20 sheets of paper! :smile:

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Chris-- Personally, I study my proof sheet.Then I pick the shot I find most interesting, then start printing. Most often, I end up with only one or two negs printed to my satisfaction(I no longer spend all night in the darkroom). In my youth, I would print ALL my negs, it didn't matter if I had a photo that didn't look good or not. Of coarse, back in the 60's and 70's paper and chems didn't cost much(I think Kodak was trying to get us hooked, then we would do crazy things to afford our fix,like get a job) Ithink you will use good judgement, and common sense will prevail, you'll do what feels right for you.
    Rick

9. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but there is room for 7 strips of 5. Why only 6?

10. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks Rick

Currently I'm picking a handful of the less sucky frames from each roll and doing my best to print them as well as I can. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not

11. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The filing sheets I've been using until recently only have space for 6 strips and the new filing sheets that do have 7 seem too tall for my paper. I shall have to try one of them with 7 strips of 5 and see how I get on.

Cheers!

12. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    when I was shooting mostly 35mm I bought some Ilford RC paper that came in 8 1/2 x 11 just for the ability to comfortably print a full roll with a little margin to spare. Now that I shoot medium format I no longer have that problem. And, using the same paper for contact sheets as final prints gives me a better idea of the accuracy of my exposures.

As far as how many I print, my experience is similar to Iandavid: I used to print many more negatives from each roll, but I believe that I have gotten fussier and I no longer print negs that don't immediately grab my attention. 1, maybe 2 shots from each roll.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "36 exp = 6 strips of 6. 8x10 is only wide enough for 5 frames wide so I lose the last frame off each strip."

And those 6 strips fit length ways on a sheet of 10x8. That's what we all do :D

Ian

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have looked into getting that paper size, doesn't seem to be readily available here. It seems like 8x10 or 16x20 are my choices, and I can't do 16x20 yet.

I am sure I will get more fussy about which shots I print, especially as I seem to be spending longer on each print.

Cheers

16. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm, they do??? Have I been doing this 90 degrees out all this time??? I better go grab a sheet of paper and try this out!!!

17. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, 6 strips fit on a page but not in filing sheets, the gap is too great. What do you lot do for contact sheets ??

18. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here Paterson Contact Printer at the bottom of the page, I've had mine since the early 70's.

There are filing sheets for 6 strips of 6.

Ian

19. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I've found one of those listed at Adorama, will have to order one. The 6x6 sheets I used to have also didn't quite fit on 8x10 paper, I think they were designed for a slightly larger size paper

20. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Chris - I also go meticulously through my contact sheets and I only pick out the best ones and mark them to test print. I have wasted too much time in the past printing bad negs trying to get them right to no avail - I am afflicted with impatience. Some days shooting are more successful then others so the amount I chose to print varies, of course. My philosophy is edit, edit, edit. I hate dodging and burning and will reshoot in order to get the best I can so I don't have to, if I am going after a particular shot. But then not every one has that option. When I test print I pretty much know exactly what I am looking for in terms of tonal value and hardness of paper, so usually I can nail it in within a few exposures. Sometimes, I can go for months without success.

CHEERS and good luck with your endeavors.

21. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends with me, sometimes I print a whole bunch of prints when I have the time.

Jeff

22. GJA

GJA Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It depends on how much time i have before I shoot the next lot. I do my film in batches normally of a few rolls, and then just start with the best overall frame, then the next and so on. Doing batches also means that you can use five sheets of paper to contact print four rolls of film, thus i get to see every single image as a positive before i rush off to print them, I hate to make compromises when printing the contact sheets because the most important step follows and depends on the quality of that sheet: choosing which image to print. I hate to make test strips and get to the final to find out that there is a problem that renders the print hopeless. With a good loupe you should be able to catch problems straight from a contact sheet!

23. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly! I went through that until I got a really good loupe and it saved me lots and lots of bad test prints, time and money.

24. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually I print around 30 prints per month, most of them on paper size 18x24 cm and 20x30 cm, sometimes 30x40cm. I shoot average 5-6 films per month.

25. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another thing you might do, is keep ardent notes while shooting. This will help you cut down(hopefully) on what you have to do in the darkroom. When you compare your notes to the proofs, it should help you to either proceed, or not do that again. This will help cut down on wasted film as well. The old mot that "we all learn from our mistakes" is only true to a point. Solomon tells us "A fool learns from his own mistakes,and a smart man learns from the mistakes of others". Point here is- continue to ask questions- and this is a great place to ask them!! BTW-what ever routine you become comfortable with is "normal".
    Keep on shooting
    Rickl

26. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Chris, when contact printing, I put the strips (of 6 frames) lengthwise as others pointed, but leave the upper perforated part of the 1st strip and the lower perforated part of the last strip outside the paper. I put a glass on top of it and the do the rest as usual.

Of course, that leaves bits and pieces (frames 37 - ??) outside. A solution to that could be the next bigger paper size, that is 24x30cm. That should hold 7 strips of 6 easily and leave some room for notes. 7x35mm=245mm. You can use a sheet of clear plastic to write some notes with a marker on it and put that on the sheet as well. Your notes will appear white. That's an idea I had lately and I'll try that when I get some *cheap* paper. I wouldn't do that with premium quality paper...