How much for a used Nikkor M 300mm?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by wildbill, Jul 15, 2005.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much should i expect to pay for a mint condition 300mm M?

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was looking. Reputable dealers seemed to want around $500. But they always seemed to sell before I could grab them. I gave up and bought a big old Fuji instead for less money.

How much is fair depends on the seller. At least to me. I'd pay more from somebody with a storefront that will provide a warranty.

3. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I think the View Camera Store has them in stock.....I bought one from them new less than 700....600 something....it does cover my 7 x 17 and 8 x 10 and is a nice small size even for 4 x 5...one of my favorites.

4. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    674.95 View Camera store

625.00 Badger Graphics

5. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    wow dave.... thats interesting to hear. I have a 300mm Nikkor W f5.6 that I use as my only lens for my 8x10. if the 300mm M covers your 7x17 (and the published IC is so much smaller than the min for 7x17) then I should be trying my W on my 7x17 as well.

interesting. anyone have any insight into this? (this is not meant to thread hijack.... so I apologize if I have)

6. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, The Nikkor 200M will cover 8x10. But at f/22 it goes to mush right where Nikon says it will though - about the 5x7 mark.

Steve

7. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I've seen the 'mint' used ones on Ebay go for more than Badger sells them for new. Never quite understood that.

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Insanity mixed with ignorance :rolleyes: When I was looking I saw a few in less then mint shape go for pretty close to the new price. At the same time the buyer could have gotten the lens for 20% less from KEH or Mpex.

9. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In response to the original question, I paid less than $500 at Midwest for a used, but in 9+ condition, 300mm Nikkor M, which I use on the 5X7 format. It is very sharp and contrasty and a great medium focal length lens for this format.

The 300mm Nikkor M will cover 7X17 (just) with decent enough performance for contact printing, but for this format you would be much better off with the 305mm G-Claron, which covers with a couple of inches or more of movement.

For very inexpensive 7X17 coverage you might also look for an 305m f/9 Agfa-Gevaert Super-Integon S. This process lens will cover up to 8X20, with no movements.

Sandy

10. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just sold a mint condition 300mm M to a fellow APUGer for $500 shipped. I think that's a reasonable price for buyer and seller (I bought a 305mm G Claron to use on 7X17 - the Nikkor is very soft on the corners on 7X17).