How much quieter is EOS 33 over EOS 50

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by maxim, May 14, 2007.

1. maxim

maxim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi
    I have the EOS 50 and has been shooting some church
    ceremonies but wonder if i could get less noise
    from a EOS 33 ?

what would be a mouse quiet camera ?
    OM 3/4 ?

I need overall quiet operations not just in film
    rewind.......... :smile:

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the same problem with my T90.

An outcome would be a camera with (coupled) rangefinder and leaf shutter.

3. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    get a blimp. they're cheap these days.

4. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most rangefinders are pretty quiet, even the cloth shuttered focal plane ones.

My EOS 650 and my Pentax SFX -- both autowind, autofocus cameras -- are incredibly loud. On the other hand, I took a photo on the bus the other day with my Zorki 2C and the person sitting directly in front of me clearly didn't even hear it.

5. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't want to go the route of a rangefinder, than one idea is to get rid of the auto wind business. I think that an OM 1 or 2 (or probably an OM 3 or 4, but I have never used one) or a Nikon FE or FM series camera will be a great deal quieter than the EOS cameras, but not as quiet as a rangefinder. The winding mechanism in Auto Focus cameras seems to be very loud compared to using your thumb.

6. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, my Pentax P50 is much quieter than the SFX although the mirror slap is still noisy compared to a leaf shutter or cloth focal plane shutter.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sparky,

what kind of blimb do you mean? I only know those for cine-cameras.

8. Troy

Troy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's like a blow-up pillow that goes over the camera and muffles the sound. I've used them in court before.

9. Richard Kelham

Richard Kelham Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not use a TLR Rolleiflex or similar. Very quiet and smaller than a blimp...slightly.

10. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you're talking about the Elan 7 (EOS 33's name in North America), the shutter slap is slightly softer compared to the Elan II (EOS 50), although the film rewind transport's similar. The Elan 7 is one of Canon's quietest film SLR, and compared to my EOS 3, it's hardly audible in a church environment, while the EOS 3's loud "ke-clunk" can be heard from outside a closed-door room.

11. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Minolta XD11 seems to be a quiet camera -- at least for an SLR.

Not all rangefinders are quiet. The Voigtlander Prominent makes a lot of racket for a leaf-shutter rangefinder.

The Retina IIIS probably is the quietest camera that I own -- noticeably quieter than a Leica LTM or M. The Retina IIa also is quiet.

My Contax II (black dial) is very quiet when shooting at 1/50 and slower. A Rolleiflex TLR also is quiet.

My Werra makes a little "ping!" when the shutter is released.

With some manual cameras, there's a lot of noise emitted when the film is advanced -- a lot of clicking and ratcheting. And with motor-driven cameras, that's another issue altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  12. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No - not the 'blow-up' kind as suggested by the other poster... they DO use these on film sets though.

this kind.
    http://www.soundblimp.com/

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sparky,

Thank you for that interesting hint. That range of blimps employs a damping layer plus a stiff outer, what should make it the most effective concerning passive noise reduction (plus the fact that all openings are isolated too).

But (besides the fact that I don’t own an autofocus SLR) I’m a bit reluctant to control focussing, exposure and shutter just by one button.

Getting my Canon FD equipment silent somehow is on my projects list, but at the moment I spend my time posting at APUG…

14. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AgX,

If you own Canon's Elan series and above cameras (Elan 7, 3, 1-series), you can always reprogram the shutter button to only manage exposure, and the * button at the back for focusing using your thumb. It's more accurate than just trusting exposure and focusing on the shutter button. I think it's under custom function 4 - 1.

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you look at those blimps (casings would be more appropriate) Sparky referred to, you will see that the cameras are controlled by a button outside the casing.
    Of course one could open the camera and rewire the whole thing...
    But I'm quite old fashioned, even on a motion camera I prefer those real wheels for focussing to those rocker keys.