How much?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dana44, Jul 9, 2007.

1. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yea, Sorry if this is the wrong section. I haven't been on in a while due to family issues, and job, and in the process of moving.

But I have a Minolta XG 1, and a Minolta SRT 200, both are in VERY good condition (just need batteries) and there is a few cosmetic defects.

I was wondering how much I could fetch out of them, I have one 45mm f/2.0 lense with it. It fits both, and is dust/fungus/scratch free, has a UV filter on it, which is in good condition, the focus ring is fine, and all that.

What could I get for all of this? I need to know, trying to sell them to make room for my other cameras, and the fact I am moving.

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would check KEH prices, and possibly past sales on the auction site.

3. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A quick check of completed sales on e-bay reveals prices around $10 for a camera (either model) with standard lens in good condition rising to as "high" as $35 for an outfit with 2 lenses, flash, filters and bag. Looks like one of those cases where it might be better to keep the camera if you would ever use it (possibly in situations where you wouldn't risk a "good" camera). If not, it might be quicker to give the camera to a charity store, your neighbor's eight-year-old child, etc., rather than put effort in selling it for $10 if you're lucky!

Regards,

David

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you use craigslist You may be able to realize a little more for the items.
    Maybe $50-60 for the body w/lens & $20-30 for body alone.

5. dferrie

dferrie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I reckon the SRT 200 plus lens is worth about $230 and would guess the XG1 is worth about $50-$60, you could possibly offer them for sale on the Minolta Users Group, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Minolta/ I've been a member on the list for a good while now and got a fair price for some bits I sold on it list in the past. I'd be interested myself but my camera bag has become camera bagS and they are all full!

Hope that helps,

David

6. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for that Info, The Minolta SRT200 is in damned good condition, Shutter is fine, Everything is top, I just am not interested in it anymore, Since I was practically give a Canon EOS 400D d-SLR with 2 lenses.

7. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since you say you were "practically given" a camera, I second the notion that you reciprocate by finding a young person who would appreciate one of them and make a gift of it. I've been lucky enough to have some things given to me over the years and I've tried to reciprocate to others. It gives one a good feeling!

8. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I gave my neighbours kid my AE-1 with 2 lense, He loves the thing! And for his B-day, I gave him a photography book. I'm kinda in the process of moving, so what little cash I can pull in on the side would help, since I am kinda stressed, But when it comes down to it, I'll give it to my local goodwill.

9. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    $230 for the SRT-200 seems extremely high. I was thinking $35 maximum.

10. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was gifted a Minolta XG1 with the 50mm Rokkor, 28mm Celtic, and 135mm Celtic. Wonderful little SLR with great lenses, my favorite 35mm kit. Well worth much more what one would pay for them, IMHO. I intend to use it until I wear it out or die.

If you've got an expensive Nikon, Cannon, or whatever, you can use the Minoltas when you don't want to risk the prime stuff. Or find a deserving recepient.

K.

11. dferrie

dferrie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like I wasn't too far out, BH Photo have that exact kit (SRT-200 + 45mm f2) for $229 plus shipping, see http://tinyurl.com/2qlsdx

David

12. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here's one that went for a lot less. Same setup.

http://tinyurl.com/28jaxj

Plus, two that went for even less than this, although both cameras have problems.

http://tinyurl.com/ytld4m

Even so, I don't think most people would pay that much for this camera. However, you never know, so it's worth a try.

13. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Then you should by all means go ahead and sell the rest for whatever you can get. You've more than "paid back" the gift given you.

Good luck with the move.

Ed

14. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's an "iffy" market when selling film cameras. I've bought and sold cameras at prices that I've found surprising. As an example, I bought a back-up F100 with a SB-28 flash for under $300, which is a very good price considering the items were near mint.

15. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well it's a buyers market, not a sellers.

The dealer will put a good mark-up on those cameras etc, but he will have to give a warranty in return.

Ian

17. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like anything else that has a used market there are highs and lows in pricing.
    If you find someone that absolutely has to have an item you're going to hit the high end, otherwise you can bottom out.
    Comparing retail to private party shouldn't be done.
    Yes, B&H asks 229 for an item, they may sit on that for six months. It doesn't cost them anything to store the item, it doesn't eat much, you don't have to maintain it etc.
    You can see the extremes if you look at something like craigslist. Sometimes you have giveaways & sometimes people think they've got the crown jewels.
    Be realistic in your values.
    I've met people who have had exceptional luck at garage sales & some who have paid more than retail. Know what you have & what you're looking for.

18. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Although the Minolta SRT range are very well thought of and sturdy and reliable there isn't that much demand for them and there are huge numbers of them around. A dealer can charge more because they will normally offer a few months guarantee and presumably it will have been checked and serviced if necessary. But of course the amount they pay to buy one will be much lower as they have to cover all this and the camera will probably be gathering dust for several months before it sells (if it sells)

On auction sites such as ebay they can be picked up for next to nothing and Minolta manual focus lenses go cheaply too (much cheaper than Nikon lenses for example). So my betting, sad to say, is that you are not going to make a fortune on these items and that perhaps, as others have suggested, you might consider donating them to some worthy person or cause.

19. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like I may end up going that route, But at this point, any bit of cash is like.... GOLD to me. heh, I really hate my job, and being in the process of moving at the same time.

20. drakeo1

drakeo1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to agree, 230$ seem's a little High. Especially seeing that EOS-3' and F-100's can be had for the same price. Although there are some camera's that hold and rise in price, Like the F3's, but I don't think the the old Minoltas hold as well. I could be wrong though