How often do you use "toy" cameras that you have?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darkosaric, Jul 5, 2009.

1. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beside my nikons and leica I have bunch of cheap stuff: minolta, yashica, agfa, zorki, argus, lomo, polaroid ... You know how it is, it is so cheap that you must buy it :smile:

But I noticed that I don't use it at all. I test it once, twice and that is it. Is this usual case with all of you? Or you use it often as more 'serious' cameras?

2. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Similar... I played with my lubitel & lomos a few times, done testing. I tried the corbis pinhole cam once. I plan to use lubitel actually with some expired color neg. but I tested the film and it is not expired enough :D yet.

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Same here, I got my working equipment and some older camera's that I hardly use.

But sometimes that older stuff can come in handy when I need an optic or shutter for something new or for testing new idea's.
    And some have too many dear memories.......

Peter

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I actually don't have any "cheap" stuff that isn't really excellent at something. For example, in Medium Format, I have Mamiya RZ67 and Rollie 6006 systems, but I also have a Yashica Mat 124 TLR that is just wonderful for shooting street candids - much better than my bigger MF SLRs and their superior lenses happen to be.

Similarly, I own Nikon F3s and N90s for serious 35mm film use, but there are plenty of times I'd rather shoot with a Minolta SRT or XD11, or a Konica Auto S2, because I just don't feel like lugging the big heavy gear around, and I know that the lenses I have with the other gear are just as nice, and have some beautiful rendering capabilities.

5. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I used my sx-70 today but I tend to use my Holga more often. It depends on what I'm after. I guess I've been using my 4x5 more lately but that doesn't mean I won't use the other things sometime soon.

6. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I admit, I have a certain scorn for the whole "toy camera" thing.

I do own an Agfa Clack, which was only €20 plus shipping while I was visiting Germany, but I don't think of it as a toy, just a very simple box camera from an era when those were normal. I actually find myself enjoying it and have loaded up my third roll of film, which technically ties the Clack for usage with my full-featured Fuji GA645, which I've owned for just slightly less time.

7. funkpilz

funkpilz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a fisheye camera that I use relatively frequently. And the Holga, too. Although I get sick of toys fast, and they spend up to a month on the shelf before I use them again.

8. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the time.... I take my Holga with me on walks, or drop it in my purse in case something interesting passes my way. I'd say I shoot several rolls a month with it.

9. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You have a bigger purse than I do. I only throw my Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim in my purse... oh hey that's a toy camera I use all the time actually! I'm surprised I forgot.

10. flashgumby

flashgumby Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since I only use Minolta, I must always be using a toy or *cheap* camera :wink: I don't think I've ever heard a Maxxum 7 or an XD11 (or lots of other excellent Minoltas) called a toy, but there's a first time for everything I suppose.

And to answer you question, I don't get enough time for getting out and taking photos to risk using anything less than the best tool for the job, so it's mostly the Maxxum 7 nowadays, with the 600si or my son's Dynax 5 if I want a different film as well.

Oh, I almost forgot - I *do* have one toy camera here, lent to me by a friend, but I've only shot one roll with it and now it sits gathering dust - a Nikon N90S :D :wink: even though it has some nice manual focus lenses with it, I just don't like the layout. My 7 and 600si are like old friends after using anything else :smile:

Regards,
    Gordon

11. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use my 2 Holgas (1 is a pinhole) all the time. Also my Diana.

12. skyrick

skyrick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As Leighgion said, I don't consider it a toy camera, but I've shot about a dozen rolls with the 55 year old Kodak Hawkeye, that took my baby pictures, since I disassembled and cleaned it two years ago. I shoot 120 without re-spooling; Fuji Acros, Kodak T-Max, Kodak Portra NC, Kodak Ektar, even some Ilford SFX 200 using a Hoya R72 handheld in front of the lens using the B option on the shutter.

Rick

13. Lightproof

Lightproof Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would love to use my toy cameras, but minox film is so expensive... the film alone costs more than two professional grade 120ies & development.

In fact, there was just one time I used a toy camera. I was four or five years old and my grandpa gave me a plastc viewfinder camera that looked like a SLR. One shutter time, one aperture! This film still exists, not a single keeper on it :D

After that I was allowed to use the Nikon of my father when I told him why I needed this and that on film. We never had disposable cams or a polaroid. Not sure if I missed something because of that...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You know, I never got into the "toy" camera craze. My time is precious too me. When I have time to make photos, either in the field or darkroom, I usually pick a camera that I can use to craft a photo. Yes, chance and serendipity plays into it, but I like less chance and more skill & vision. Having said that, I have seen wonderful images made with toy cameras. To each his own.
    Michael

16. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How often do you use "toy" cameras that you have?

I do not really consider it a “toy” camera but yesterday, I used an Argus C3 to photograph a 1950 Studebaker automobile.

17. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only camera I have that I could consider a 'toy' is an Olynpus Stylus Epic, but is not really a 'toy' since it takes excellent pictures and it goes in my shirt pocket everywhere with me.

18. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :smile: :smile:

Well, minolta that I have is hi matic f, and I consider her a toy because is point and shoot, no manual settings what so ever, cheap and small :smile:

This camera has strange story with me (going slightly OT): first I had one himatic f that was repaired to take RL 44 battery, and it was excellent. Metering was good, all ok. I lost it, and I buy another on ebay. I also both A640 batteries for it - but - it always give very thin negatives. I tried to put iso 100 film, and put iso 25 on camera - still no good. But this is another thread... :smile:

19. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I don't like that toy cameras have limited shutter speeds, and that the Holga has a loud shutter. Yes, yes, I know they're toy cameras.

20. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm currently travelling around Japan with two Holgas (one's a pinhole) but they were brought here for very specific purposes (one is shooting IR film) so I'm not shooting with them daily. However, once I get to my permanent location for the summer, I intend to use them more so than the Bronica I've been lugging around. Back in Canada I always included at least one toy camera in my bag, even if I didn't always shoot with it. I do have some box cameras and folders that I've just used once or twice...it's not that I don't like them, but when travelling I have to make hard choices of what goes in the bag and they're the first to go.

21. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frequently. My kit usually includes at least one toy camera (Holga, Diana, Altered Brownie Hawkeye or an assortment of pinhole camers.) Oh, there is usually also an Olympus OM of some sort or another. Bill Barber

22. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't exactly consider them "toy" cameras, but I shoot Polaroid and 127 film all the time. I shoot a fair amount of 8mm and super8 movies too.

23. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I saw the Minolta quoted as a toy, I thought I was on a d.....l forum and the CaNikon chest beating that is ohh so often sprouted there.

The only "Toy" camera that I own is a Kodak Brownie that I got for my 9th birthday in the early 80's. I would dearly love to give it a try again, but the lack of 110 film is preventing me from doing this

24. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny, that's what I thought too...

25. c.w.

c.w. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]
    The polaroid 232SL Motorized. I use it all the time - it's cool in dark places for the following reasons:
    1. Small
    2. Motor drive
    3. No focusing neccicary
    4. 27mm lens
    5. Built in flash
    6. Uses AAA batteries
    Generally, i use it in one hand with my thumb on the shutter release, then swing it into position (wide lens means you don't have to be terribly accurate with the framing) hit the shutter release, and throw it back in my pocket. All of that within about one second. It leaves everyone else in awe since their digital takes at least six seconds to go through it's focus and preflash shenanigans.

Recently, i've been trying to build a sort of ringflash adapter, although i'm not sure i'm willing to make it any bulkier.

26. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I use them often--usually one of my Holgas, or my Diana. However, I have been recently getting some very interesting results out of the Golden Half half-format camera. It has 2 apertures (that actually have a difference between them, unlike the Holga!) and a fairly decent wide-angle lens. The cool things about it are (a) the thing is tiny, and (b) film has gotten so much better from the time of half-format's heyday that you can actually get pretty decent results with the GH nowadays.