How old is this film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ektachrome, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ektachrome

ektachrome Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all
    I am just wondering how old this film is.
    It was found in the loft and must be at least 5 years old
    DSCI0450.jpg

Thanks
    Ektachrome

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Konishiroku stopped making film more than 5 years ago and probably closer to 10 years ago. That is about all I can say.

PE

3. alter ego 6x9

alter ego 6x9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just bought a bunch of Konica film (iso 100 and 400) - expiration in 2006 and 2007. Surely it is not an indication that your film is as old as mine :smile:

4. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Konica VX films came before the "Centuria" versions....the latter were introduced around the Millenium (presumably some reflection in the name..."Century" etc.?). So your film may be from the 1990's?

5. ektachrome

ektachrome Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you think I should take it to my local minilab for processing?

6. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No reason why your local minilab (or any mail order lab) can't do it....it's the standard "C-41" process, which all colour print films have used for many years. I recently used some C-41 film which was "develop by June 1991" and it was fine. (Though, obviously, don't use your film for any important or un-repeatable pictures :smile: )

7. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Konica-Minolta ceased film production about 2005/6. Although the Centuria range was the last new colour film range they introduced, the VX and VX Super films were sold alongside as an economy range, although originally the VX films came onto the market before the Centuria range. Your film is likely to have been manufactured somewhere between 1998 & 2006. I doubt if it was earlier than that. What results you get probably depends on how it was stored but I'd agree completely with what railwayman3 says above.