How to achieve fake infrared like look?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pmu, Jul 26, 2008.

1. pmu

pmu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, how to achieve sort of like "infrared" look without actually using infrared film? Propably and most likely the term "infrared" is not the right one here, but I was thinking this really high contrast look with glowing high tones (I don't care about shadow details with this one) ...I was thinking using red filter with some chinese Lucky film (or similiar without anti halo layer)...and propably push it couple of stops and develop with rodinal. I bet Ansel Adams would disagree on somehow here, but what do you think about this combination? I would try this one right now if I had the film...before I order it I would like to hear opinions. Thanks.

2. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try a wratten #29 coupled with a polarizing filter. Then print with good contrast.

3. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get some SFX film from Ilford and an R72 filter. This film is an extended red film, not a true IR, but with the R72 filter, it extend some into the IR wavelengths. You also don't have to change the focus or load?unload in darkness like you do with a true IR film. Plus, take the filter off and it's an ordinary b/w film.

4. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    iNFRARED

If you use a #25 Red and a Polarizor filter is that a imitation IF ?? Gives a nice shot, but you need LOTS of light.

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The red filter will darken foliage, a green filter will lighten foliage which is what you want to do. What the effect of green + polarizer will be beyond "interesting" I don't know.

6. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Someone else here on APUG once posted some shots using Delta 3200 and an IR filter that really gave an effective IR affect, albeit very grainy. A search through the archives should produce the thread.

Joe