How to ask brides/clients to be patient?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by haring, Jun 10, 2014.

1. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am a wedding photographer. Brides always want me to select single photos and send to them before delivery date. I am not really talking about thank you card but other photos with family remembers.
    I would love to do it for them and send them but the only problem that it really messes up my workflow. I allocate equal time for everybody's wedding. It is hard to pull the drives, go through the wedding photos, selecting them and editing them before final delivery while I am still editing somebody else's wedding. It takes a long time and this way I feel that I will never be able to meet my deadlines.

The best example is father's day. Everybody wants to have a photo with their father...

How do you do it? Are sending clients/brides photos after their wedding before the delivery date or you ask them to wait for the final product? If you ask them how do you ask them to be patient?

2. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since this *always* happens, change your workflow. Allocate some time after each event to find two or three promising shots and email them (low res, of course) to the client with a note like "Congratulations! Your wedding was beautiful and I think I got some great shots. Here's a teaser, a few I thought you might like. I'm looking forward to showing you the full portfolio when we meet on XX-XX-XXXX."

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, the client is always right. This is all about their big day.

You could probably standardise it to save time. Try to shoot some designated preview shots in much the same way on each wedding and set up some good presets for editing. Then it should be fast and easy enough.

4. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The guy who did my daughter's wedding gave them a look on a laptop right after the ceremony and let them pick a few that he emailed to them before leaving the building.

5. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a digital workflow discussion. Not appropriate on APUG.

6. Kevin Harding

Kevin Harding Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Goodness gracious.

Let's erase all instances of "drives" and replace with "binders." It's worth a discussion - as to strategies on how to deal with this situation. I imagine it would be exacerbated if the photographer in question had to develop film and print images - that would delay previews even further.

7. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well I had a thread locked the other day for mentioning inkjet paper as post production and I don't even have a digital camera.

8. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    film flam

If you are shooting weddings on film you can tell the bride that the proofs are not back from the lab yet.

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I hope you have a contract. But always spell everything out including the delivery date. Always over estimate your time. If you're able to get it to them early, they'll be even happier. If they're not happy with your timeline, you might charge more or not take the assignment.

10. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Damn digital cameras. Every time I hear about one I want to pop somebody.:D

11. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    oh yeah

And tell them, too, that color slides take longer at the lab.

12. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is a great idea!

13. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Believe me I always do! I tell them that I send all the photos to California. Actually, I do! I am located in Miami. :smile:

14. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless I shoot film as well. I think the problem exist for both film and digital shooters.

15. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will try this for sure!!!

16. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Be nice to them...
    Wear a box,