How to carry lots of 35mm film during a wedding or other high pressure occasion?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ted_smith, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ted_smith

ted_smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey

I'll be shooting my first wedding using film in a few weeks, as some of you already know.

I will be taking about 6 rolls of Fuji 400H (intend to use 4), 6 rolls of Fuji 800Z (intend to use 4) and two rolls of Fuji Acros 100 (intend to use one). 14 rolls covering 3 different brands. I'm worried that I'll spend too much time fudging around trying to find the rolls I want as I intend to just take them in their plastic containers without the boxes.

So I want some kind of belt that I can insert these into safely and carry around with me! A bit like how a soldier wears a belt of grenades for his grenade launcher! No doubt I'll look a bit of a berk if I can even find such a device, but I figure that if I can find such a device I can quickly load and unload, keep track of which films are which, etc.

I've read this thread but it only discusses portable containers - no 'hip attachments'.

Do any of you know of such a device? If not, how do you fine folks carry large numbers of films around during times when you are under pressure?

Ted

2. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last two weddings I shot I just put all the film into my right jacket pocket (without tubs) and then transferred the rolls to my left pocket when shot. But I only used one type of film (400H), I suppose you could have 400H in the left pocket and 800Z in the right, and when shot, the roll could go into your bag.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A belt and a vest are both made for film photographers. They are studded with 35mm cannister sized holders that will hold many rolls of film along with other things such as lenses and accessories. IDK where to get them nowdays, but I have used mine for quite a number of occasions. Well, not as many as I would really like, but they are handy.

They are both similar to the belts and vests worn by hunters to hold extra shells.

PE

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I shot weddings I always had a small camera bag with me, and that's what others do.

Ian

5. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're going to shoot three different speed films at a wedding?! Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

6. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simplify!

Stick with the 400 film for all but what is absolutely necessary.

7. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get some colored stickers and put them on the canisters and lids; different colors for different film, obviously. Then, however you handle them, you won't mix them up. Maybe get a fanny pack and put a divider in it for the 6 and 6, and carry the 2 rolls of B+W in a pocket.

8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ted I'd be inclined to contact a seamtress/taylor/tayloress who makes/ alters garments. There's usually such a person in any reasonable size town, Start asking around. That's the sort of person who could easily attach wide elastic loops around a belt which would allow you to place each container in the loop. If each elastic loop is tight enough then it will be held securely.

Shouldn't cost too much and if weddings are going to be part of your portfolio it will pay for itself in no time.I wouldn't worry about how it looks. No-one bothers how the photographer looks at a wedding.

pentaxuser

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

10. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good idea! Should be easy to make. Just make sure the belt fits so that they can't get pushed out when you sit, kneel, etc.

How about bandolier style, like Pancho Villa!:D

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What i was thinking too.....seems like way, way too much film to shoot at a wedding too. Just asking for trouble.

12. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use something like this: http://www.normancamera.com/LOWEPRO-STREET-FIELD-FILM-DROP.html

You could even use the same bag exposed and unexposed film by just making sure all of your exposed film is fully rewound into the canister. Alternatively you could throw the exposed film into something else. A shotgun style belt or vest will just end up looking goofy and antiquated in my opinion. Also, as others have mentioned, for color, I would consider sticking to just 400H and perhaps a few backup rolls of 800Z. However, for black and white I would make sure you have some high speed film on-hand - either TMZ or Neopan 1600 would do.

2 bodies should be a given.

13. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That thing is good for (as the name suggests) dropping exposed film into (though too small, i find).
    But impossible to use to carry unexposed film in - you can't get at it.

Lowe make (made?) small bags called (if i remember correctly) 'film organisers'. They are quite good, hold a quite nice amount of film. I carry my film in these thingies, clipped to my LowePro equipment bags.
    But they don't really provide a quick way to pick a film of one type when loaded with different types. They come with one divider, and i found that even with only two types of film you will have to be careful not to grab the wrong type.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I was looking for that kind of bag but couldn't find it. Either way if one just grabs a few rolls out of the bag they'll be statistically likely to have grabbed a roll of the type they wanted. Same bag issue everyone else has when they can't 100% see the film that's in it.

Edit: one of the Lowepro lens cases would probably work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  16. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope you aren't planning on using only one camera to pull this off. I used to shoot one camera for color, and another for B&W. If you are planning on three diferent films, maybe you should carry three bodies, one for each type and speed. It is way too easy to forget to reset the film speed dial for the meter in the heat of the moment, opening the door to disaster. It wouldn't hurt to have an assistant to help keep things straight.

17. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Open the door with film loaded, and it will be a disaster.:wink:

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then the latent image will be deleted!

19. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...or de-latent.

20. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nyuy-nyuk-nyuk

21. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The thing to do there would be to leave the F5 in DX mode and shoot at box speed. Or use the exp. comp. setting to effectively change it, which could still cause a problem, just not so likely a disaster.

22. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is like the old days - where photographers actually had to pay attention to what they were doing.

23. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

you can say that again

+1

25. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best to stick with one film but if you must have more just use a camera bag with multiple compartments. I did weddings for many years using only Kodak Vericolor III which held great detail in white wedding dresses and cakes. Sadly it is no longer made. Good luck on your upcoming shoot.