how to clear the dust off negative in the dry season

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ericzhu, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ericzhu

ericzhu Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Now it's winter in Beijing, China. I find that working at darkroom, the negative is easily floated with dust, small silk, etc. Since I wear sweater, my body is with static electricity, though I could get the dust off negative/negative carrier with hands, it's easily coming back. The air is too dry, dust particles are floating in the air. Any good solutions? Thanks.

2. ron110n

ron110n Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ozone generator will ionize the air that makes the dust heavy so it fall in the ground. It also reduce static in the air.

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wiping the room down with a wet rag will humidify the air, helps a lot. You could also fill a large tray with hot water to help keep the humidity up.

4. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You may find an anti-static generator useful. I have not tried one, but I hope too, soon.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/5n6apm

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi ericzhu,

It is always very dry here in Utah, so I know what you are up against. I have an air filter that is on a timer. It runs every night for a few hours, long enough to turn the air over every night. This has helped a lot. I use a blower bulb and an anti static brush when prepping negs for the carrier or contact frame.

6. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here (Southern California) we often have the same problem - Santa Ana winds with extremely low humidity. Inexpensive humdifiers which produce either cold or warm humidified air are available. They are sold primarily for medical uses - people with various breathing problems - but serve wonderfully in the dark room. I believe that these days most are made in China so you may not have a problem finding one

7. ericzhu

ericzhu Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks all for wonderful solutions. The humidifier is really made in China and I have one. Maybe later I would also buy the ozone generator/ air purifier. Last night, I wiped the floor with wet rag before working in the kitchen(my darkroom), it serves well.