How to ID brand of reel? (Photos)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Hikingman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any suggestions to help identify brand of 35mm reel? Three possible brands are shown, below.

John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, John,

Could be any one of a number which use the Nikor-type "springy thingy" in the core instead of the more positive Kinderman or Hewes approach.

Konical

3. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did anyone but Nikor ever bother making a 20-exposure 35mm reel (the one on the right in the first picture)? I'd guess it's a Nikor based on that, unless someone else has seen another brand of that before.

Once I used Hewes 35mm reels, I got rid of all my ones built like this. It's night and day. The one downside is they're a tad taller, so depending on your cap style, you might not be able to fit 2 or 4 Hewes reels in a 2 or 4 reel Nikor tank.

Duncan

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The third picture with the single wire, rather than a spring clip, I think is a Nikor.

In the first picture, the one on the left looks like it could be a few different types. Kalt has that style clip. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some manufacturer who sells under various brands. Not sure I've seen the style of clip in the first picture on the right.

Hewes has a metal clip, but a different style. Kindermann has a spike that allows the film to pivot, which I find works well when I don't puncture my thumb and bleed all over the film.

5. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll agree with David, as the third pic looks identical to my Nikor reels.

6. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From your responses, first reel is off-brand, second (with large opening in center) is Nikor 20 exposure, and last photo is Nikor 36 exposure. Thanks for the feedback!

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you load the third reel? I have one just like it but I can't figure out how to start the winding since the leading end won't stay put.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume you are referring to the Nikor reel, with the wire "C".

These are by far and away my favourite type of 35mm reels.

You just insert the end of the film into the "C" firmly.

The film lines itself up correctly, and crimps a bit. It will then start loading correctly, with the end securely held.

9. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Third pic is a Nikkor type, what I been using for 50 years. If it won`t load, it has been bent. These are the first class ones you want.

I have one off brand with a larger center wrap, but looks just like the Nikkor otherwise. Film will not lock on, so I use it for short 12 to 24 exposures only.

The spring things may be Brooks from the 60`s. I can`t load them even in daylight when I can see. Mine were gifted from my brother and I never used them, can`t use them.
    He did use them so it must be me.

10. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    During practice with a dummy roll, the Nikor reels loaded easily (Another member donated two 'straight' reels of this type).
    Of course, there's only one direction to move the film during loading-with the windings going outward 'with' the spiral wires :wink:

Thanks to those that identified the Nikor, shown-below (and the short '20' Nikor in photos 1,2):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have several Kindermann 20 exposure reels. Its marked with their name and has the killer spike. Many times the steel will be stamped with a name or country of origin. I have found that Nikor, Kindermann, and Hewes all load easily. The others can range from good to challenging.

12. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hewes are definitely marked - if not on the center plate with the two spikes, then on one of the ribs on the outside. (And definitely on the outside ribs on the Hewes 120 reels, which have no spiked plate because of no perforations.) I have seen some Nikors with a Hewes-like center plate (but with only one tab!) marked Nikor. I have seen a lot of crappy Nikor clones, some unmarked, and some marked "Japan."

Duncan

13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the first picture there's a tab at the right side of the 36 exposure reel. Nikor used to use those and I'm surprised it doesn't have their name on it.
    But anyway the one with the "C" loading is one of the easiest to deal with. If you insert the end of the film into it and just put a little bend in the film you can PUSH the film onto the reel as it moves across the table.

14. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Update, the Kindermann 'marked' 35mm reel just arrived, and almost loads itself! :D
    And, if you find a Nikor as shown in post #10, you'll find it more desirable to load-than some of the 'generic' reels.

Why fight it in the dark? :surprised:

15. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Nikor is on marked reel, you know its a Nikor. What is the chance that they made reels without their name on it? IMHO, none.

Without the name, its a copy. May work just as good, maybe not. Not every Taiwan, Japan, or not marked reel is bad, but many that do load, load with a struggle.

With the Nikor, Kindermann, Hewes, they work really easy. Of course, any reel that has been deformed by dropping or other means may become trash.