How to keep your hands warm in the winter.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Mike Kennedy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just returned from my 1st cold weather shoot of the season (-26c with wind chill) and my hands are still numb.
    Having been born and raised in Atlantic Canada I know how to dress for winter weather but have not been able to find a suitable method of keeping the digits workable. Thought I would toss this quandary out to fellow cold weather photographers and ask them how they prevent finger freeze-up.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No pain, no game!:smile:

Cheers

André

3. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Ed Pierce

Ed Pierce Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I try to keep moving as much as possible. I also use big fat mittens; inside those I wear army surplus polypro gloves. The polypro is thin enough to enable note taking, knob twisting, etc. When it gets really bad I'll fire up a few chemical handwarmers and keep them in my jacket pocket. If that doesn't work then it's just too cold for me.

5. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fintan, those are summer gloves!

It is impossible for me to keep hands warm photographing in really cold weather. At a maximum, I use polypropylene glove liners inside insulated GoreTex mittens that pop open so you can use your fingers briefly. Sometimes I use chemical hand warmers inside the mittens or in my pockets. Mostly I use my darkroom because the middle of winter is my favorite time to be there.

6. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I thought this was what wives were for...?

Possibly this is why I'm still single...! :rolleyes: :smile:

8. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hah, hah, hah. I'm pretty sure the women would say the opposite. Most of the women I've known have a real dislike for the cold, especially when it comes in the form of your cold hands anywhere on their warm bodies. :wink:

I think you'd have much better luck with a dog.

9. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have a pair of atomic gloves - toasty warm. Unfortunately, they also made my hands glow in the dark, causing problems with loading sheet-film holders. :wink:

I like the design of these , perhaps inside a pair of these .

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wear silk glove liners and then a pair of gloves designed for duck hunting that have pouches for chemical warmers, the fingers open up to allow usuage of the finger from a spot just below the first knuckle, seems to work for me with no problems.

Dave

11. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a waist-level handwarmer "tube" made for bowhunting. You strap it around your waist like a belt and it's line with fleece. Put a hand warmer in there and you're good for hours. Try cabela's.

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thermos of hot chocolate

13. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    live near the tropics

lee\c

16. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I use a pair of mittens that allow to to flip back the mitten part to convert to fingerless gloves. Very warm until you expose the tips of your fingers while operating the camera. Make sure you get ones that allow you to flip back the thumb too (some that I've seen don't), it really makes turning small dials easier.

17. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    At the risk of being stoned..... move to Hawaii!!! :tongue:

Sorry, Mike I just couldn't resist!!

18. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cheat and have 2 "Johnny Handwarmers". One for each of the pockets in my parka. They look like big Zippo lighters for anyone who has not seen one. You fill them with lighter fluid, light them until the wiick glows, put them in their little felt bags and you're good for 8 hours. Between exposures, I either put my hands in the very warm pockets or slip the warmer into my mittens. Highly recommended for winter shooting!

19. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Of equal importance is a good warm hat, a scarf for your neck, and if conditions are really vile, a face mask. Your body is more than willing to sacrifice its fingers and toes to keep its innards and brain warm.

Murray

20. inthedark

inthedark Member

I coat my hands with bagbalm and slip into the nytrile gloves, hands stay toasty warm but I am not at -26. Nonetheless, I have great grip and usable digits and they are warmer if not warm enough. Also I would imagine it would ease the extreme change one would experience when one took off wool or leather gloves. . . ie these could be liners so to speak that would also stop chapping.

21. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    pocket warmers - a plastic pocket of a gel like liquid with a small metallic disc that you 'pop' which starts a chemical reaction of sorts (at leat a change of state) from the liquid to a gooey crystal state at the same time realeasing toasty warmth for yer tots ...

They last about 20 mins or so and can then be recharged by boiling them in water until clear again ... mine have lasted years...

this is the first link i found on the net:

http://www.extremedreams.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/150

There are plenty other manufacturers, suspect they are made in bulk and rebranded by whoever wants to market them

i have even wrapped lenses in them when shooting at night to avoid condensation

22. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ....and miss great B+W winter landscapes, no chance!!

23. Patricia Langer

Patricia Langer Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mike, you probably already know this, but a lot of body heat is lost by handling the metal tripod legs. I have mine wrapped in that insulation that plumbers use on pipes to prevent heat loss. Take your tripod to the hardware store, measure a section of the insulation and diameter and slit it lengthwise and it slips right over the tripod leg (upper section only). It also makes carrying the tripod over your shoulder much more comfortable.
    Being a Maritimer myself, here's a 'downhome' solution for you -- two hot hard boiled eggs wrapped in foil, one in each pocket. By the time they have cooled down, you have a snack for the walk back.
    Patricia

24. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great ideas Patricia!
    Thanks to one and all for some wonderful solutions. Think I will combine a few to solve the "popsicle paws" syndrome. A friend of mine works for N.B Hydro and will get me a pair of insulated linesman,s mitts (go 1/2 way to the elbow).I shall make sure they are XL so I can fit a pair of thinsulate gloves inside. Have emailed two companies who make reusable chemical pocket heating sacs.

Thanks Again,
    Mike

25. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I reckon go with the eggs ! mind you the sacs can sit and wait to be used for months, just dont eat them

26. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

..and never touch your tongue to your metal tripod legs in sub zero temperatures, no matter who dares you to do it.
    Take it from me :sad: