how to mount 6x7 slides?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by polyglot, May 23, 2011.

1. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I bought a pack of 6x7 heat-activated slide mounts. How do you get a slide into one of these and sealed properly without any buckling? I tried using a clothes iron and the problem I had was that the pressure of the iron on the side of the mount would distort it a bit, which meant that once all the edges were sealed, the whole thing was no longer flat and the slide was certainly not under tension; it had probably 1.5mm of unflatness to it which would make it impossible to focus for projection.

Using the iron flat across the whole slide (with a sacrificial slide in there) is no good because the iron will heat & shrink the slide.

I know one can buy a special slide-mounter but I've never ever seen one for 85mm slides. Is there some hacky DIY trick I'm missing?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have a heat seal press just for that, haven't seen any in a few years. The last place I remember seeing one was in a Porters catalogue. They may have one NOS in the warehouse, might be worth contacting them and asking.