How to put a grid on a gg?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by John_Brewer, Jul 11, 2004.

1. John_Brewer

John_Brewer Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I want to put a grid on a gg and am not sure how to go about it. I guess I make a template on paper, put it under the gg and either draw or score the grid. Do I draw or score? Is this done on the shiney or matt side? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi john

i made a grid with my computer, then printed it out and took it to a copy store.
    they printed it on clear stock ( mylar? ) and i cut it down and put it over my ground glass ( the side that faces you). i did this for both a speed graphic and graphic view II.

i have heard of others using a pencil and ruler and drawing the lines.

pencil and/or mylar works well since they are both reversible ... my drawing ability is poor ( even with a ruler ) so i wouldn't trust anything that i couldn't un-do. :smile:

3. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I put one on my gg and used a ruler and a pencil on the ruff side.

lee\c

4. Shesh

Shesh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I mentioned in another thread, I drew the dimensions of the ground glass on a paper, drew lines on the paper such that the vertical was divided into 4 equal parts and the horizontal into 3. put the gg on it and fixed it with a clip and traced it with ruler and ultra fine tip sharpie (marker pen). Works like a charm. My gg is on a baby-LF (3.25" x 4.25" neg size) you may want to add more grids based on the size of the gg. You can figure it out when you make the design on paper. Etching/scoring on gg is not going to help. That works will with focusing screens (fresnel glass).

I like this idea very much.

5. John_Brewer

John_Brewer Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks all for your input. :smile: I think i'll go sharpie on mylar.

6. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have 2 8x10s and I inadvertantly tried to clean the back side if the GG. It was done in pencil from the factory (Fatif). I cleaned the whole thing off and redrew the lines with a hard, fine drafting pencil and have no fears about doing it repeatedly..Evan