how to remove a dent in lens filter ring

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by spoolman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I've got a nikon wide angle lens for 35 mm with a medium sized dent in the filter ring. I saw that Micro Tools once had a device that was both a vice and dent remover but they don't sell it anymore. Asides from spending a whole lot of money sending it out to be fixed, is there any sort of tool that will allow me to do this myself.?

Thanks,

Doug:smile:

2. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doug, on eBay. # 190682291178 and others. Just search "Lens repair tool"

3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would strongly suggest having a professional repair the lens. Even though there is a tool for the purpose it is not intuative as to its use. If you stretch the ring it will become useless. The larger the dent the harder it is to fix it.

If you should decide to do it yourself, then don't try to remove the dent all at once. You must do it very slowly with multiple passes. When most of the dent is gone, after each pass test with an appropriate size filter. Go slow and be patient.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  4. one90guy

one90guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have removed dents in two Yashica GSN's with a half circle of wood cut to the inside diameter of the lens. I tapped lightly with a very small hammer, working very slowly the results when finished was a light line visible on the outside of ring where the dent had been. Others may know more.