how to remove glass from a hoya filter

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by robsoe, Nov 13, 2008.

1. robsoe

robsoe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to remove the glass from a hoya 40.5mm red filter, but it doesn't have a retaining ring. The glass seems to be glued to the metal. How to do this?
    rob

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generally they're held in place by either a retaining ring or spring around the front circumference of the glass.

3. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is the filter stuck on your lens? If so... use a strap wrench or one of those rubber bottle openers to remove it from the lens.

Most filters are held in by a spring in the slot or a screw in retainer. If it's glued in.. try soaking it in thinners or acetone (nail polish remover) over night. It may ruin the paint.

4. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The quickest way to get the glass out is to strike it with a hammer. The smaller pieces of glass are much easier to remove and then the retaining ring will come out as well with ease.

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes there is a flange on the filter ring that is 'rolled over' to hold the glass in place. Hoya sometimes uses a spring wire that retains the lens. And sometimes the screw-in retaining ring doesn't have any notches in it and looks like part of the main filter ring - you either need to make a friction tool to remove it or drill a pair of holes to allow use of a spanner wrench.

You don't say if you want to save the glass, the ring or both.

6. robsoe

robsoe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I should have said earlier that I want to transplant the hoya glass to zodiak 30mm filter holder. The zodiak filter has a retaining ring, and it was easy to remove the glass. My 40.5mm hoya does not have a retaining ring. My 52mm hoyas do have retaining rings. Perhaps I need to cut the metal?