How to replace a Rollei 35 battery cap?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by olleorama, Jul 17, 2009.

1. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got my mothers Rollei 35 some weeks ago. It lacks the battery cap (it is 29 years old...). I can use it without batteries, but I thought it would be a nice touch if I can get the exposure meter to work. I know I shouldn't trust an old CdS meter, but it would be nice. My first plan was just to ram the hole full of tin foil or something more practical, can anyone who has one draw a sketch on how the contacts in the cap looks like, where do they go? Or better yet, if it's a standard thread on the cap, maybe I can do one myself? Or are there replacements available?

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this any help:

[​IMG]

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    olleorama,

Why shouldn't you trust an old CDS meter?

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ic-racer,

Your manual sketch shows a later version with a different battery compartment.

5. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I got a feeling they sometimes drift with the years? Or at least compared to my sekonic.

And yes, you are right the sketch shows another model. I'm talking about the classic rollei 35, where the battery hatch is inside the camera, above the film. The cap is screwed in.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might try a camera repair joint or several for a parts camera or just the cap.
    It used a PX13/625 1.35V mercury battery and the + side was the main case. The - was on the bottom and about 1/4" dia. The Wein cell is a drop in replacement but is short lived. If you can find the cap a better option is an adapter from C.R.I.S. or installing a diode in series with the meter.

7. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you could also try pacific rim camera. they carry a whole bunch of things like that.