How to safely remove a Jobo Expert drum lid with the 3360 Foot pump (Video)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by CatLABS, Aug 11, 2013.

1. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We have just posted this video on youtube:
    How to safely remove a Jobo Expert drum lid with the 3360 Foot pump

[video=youtube_share;rPWfic0Dfwg]http://youtu.be/rPWfic0Dfwg[/video]

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Omar, I will have to look at this video, I may want to order one but my past experience with these things have been horrific.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never had a problem with the Expert tanks when using the foot pump. Try reading the friendly manual [RFM].

4. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I think when I first tried using the foot pump, we did not fill with water before applying the foot pressure, I remember lots of frustration, I think water in the tank is the cure.

5. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a pump, but it's funny as Jobo do not recommend that the expert drums are overfilled as it may cause issues with the internal structure, yet it's okay to overfill them to use the pump.

I just run the rim of the lid under the hot tap for 2 revolutions, just lifts off easily then.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hey Ed, I have tried the hot water as well, but it does not seem to come off that easily, do you do this on the machine??

7. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I take the Expert Drum off the machine, and drain the water out of the base into the trough, run the hot water until it is running hot (not warm), I then rotate the drum slowly twice with the lip of the lid under the hot water and the lid just gently lifts off. Works with both of my 3006 drums and my 3010 drum.

8. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As far as i know, the only recommendation against over filling is the increased strain on the rotation motor, transfer gears and lift arm - can you please direct to the issue with the damage to the tank?

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any damage to the tank would be due to the pressure needed to make the lid go off.

But this pressure is the same with or without water. Without water due to the compressibility of air one would need more pumping action without any water than with.
    I don't know whether this would be significant though in practice.

10. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Having less air in the tank while using the pump means there is alot less air that can compress, thus its power to potentially cause damage is smaller. I gotta say i never ended up taking the test in my five points physics in high school, but this is what my logic tells me - less air, less pressure, less problems.

11. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I learnt to be careful when holding the lid while applying pressure to the foot pump. There is some danger of injury to the hands...

12. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The water is the key. When I first got the expert drum and the foot pump I didn't know to fill it with water. It usually startled me as the lid exploded off the tank. So I started opening it by tapping the lid on a 2x4 to gradually push it up. Sometime later I read about the water trick, which has never failed to gently open the tank. However I do it a bit differently than the video in that I fill it right up to the top. You need to open it in a sink this way, but it's much gentler on the tanks.

13. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I remarked to a friend once how hard it was to remove the lid, so he gave me a pump. The first time I used the pump I popped myself in the lip with the lid it came flying off so fast. Now I just don't push the lid down tight (3010), I just push enough so it is snug and even. I can easily get it off with my fingertips working around it. I haven't used the pump in a decade and I never have any leaks. I suppose if you use a full Jobo setup you might need to fix the lid more firmly with the cogs and all, but I use a Beseler roller base, so it all works fine for me.

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly, this is the Point.

It is not about lessening the chance of damaging the tank, as the (static) pressure situation would be the same in both cases as I indicated above.
    But the expanding air can give the coming off lid a thrust.
    The less compressed air volume, the less thrust.

15. Zelph

Zelph Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, water in the tank makes for a simple and safe removal. Fill at least 90% or you will shoot it off like a canon. The major fill makes it come off easily in your hands.

16. Ed Bray

Ed Bray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have looked through all my Jobo paperwork but can't find reference to it, I am still sure I read it somewhere, but I may well have been mistaken and maybe just dreamt it, but if so, it feels so real!

17. joefreeman

joefreeman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You should've taken the physics test.

18. msage

msage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow, I didn't know it was such a problem for folks!
    I drain the tank, attach the pump and with one hand holding the "cork" in I gently pump one or twice. Easy does it! For at least ten years and a few thousad sheets of film, no problem!

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't it amazing how successful one can be when they follow the manufacturer's instruction?

20. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1 !!!