How to tell RA-4 chemistry reach exhaustion.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jfdupuis, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jfdupuis

jfdupuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I'm doing RA-4 for a while now and I'm still running on my first batch of chemistry that I've mix back in March. I'm still pretty slow at making the color balance so my volume hasn't been that high so far. Nevertheless, a question raised in my mind as how can I know if the developer or the blix as reach exhaustion ? If it make any difference, I'm using the Tetenal chemistry in a processor.

Regards,

Jeff

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Weak color, and loss of good solid blacks in the shadows would indicate weak, exhausted developer. Milky looking print could indicate bad blix, also a white/yellowish percipitate in the blix tank means the blix is about gone, and if left will get much worse, leaving a yellowish "gunk" coating everything in the tank.

3. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quick RA4 developer test.

After developing and drying your print, hold it to the light. If the black area in the print is dark blue or violet, you have weak developer, not enough time in the developer or processing temperature too low. The blacks should be really black when looking at the print in normal room lighting or daylight.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    test blix by developing unexposed ra-4 paper in b&w dektol developer. No colour couplers should be formed. Then rinse, and then pop it in the blix. It should come out white after the specified as fresh time if the blix is working properly.

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you're making prints that you need to have the optimal stability I would simply follow the directions on Kodak's documentation for capacities. That is about 16 8x10s or 8 11x14s per liter of chemistry. It works beyond that though.