How to use the Gossen enlarging attachment? English Manual Location?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Puma, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Where can I find a manual in English of this device?

Can anyone tell me how to use it?

Thank you,

Puma

2. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oops, I have a Gossen Ultra Pro, if that helps?

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I found that thread but was unsure why he didn't just post it there? I sent him a private message.

5. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Butkus.org has a bunch of Gossen manuals, but not that one, it looks like.
    It's a pretty simple device, actually. There are some general guides on how to calibrate an enlarging meter to your materials around, Ilford's site may be a good place to start.

I have the enlarging attachement (but not the instruction sheet). I only use it occasionally when I change print sizing with a neg. After getting to a good print at the first size, I meter a convenient place on the neg, then meter that same location after changing magnification and adjust exposure accordingly.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't used one since losing it in a darkroom fire decades ago. As I recall, I first made a good print, and noted the aperture and exposure time. Then I metered the image on the easel in a shadow area that barely recorded detail in the print. Setting the ISO scale to give the printing aperture and time established an approximate ISO for that paper in future prints. I may have had to use the lens opened two stops to get a good reading, and stopped down two stops for the exposure. Such compensation works well when consistantly applied. The original instructions should give much better instructions than this.

8. akaa

akaa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a copy of the manual, if you would like me to email it to you.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes please - a link to send me emails is in my profile here on APUG.

Would you have any objection to my forwarding a copy to Gossen and/or Mike Butkus?

10. the duchess blue

the duchess blue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i would truly appreicate recieving a copy of this manual. My German is not the best, and the time involved to translate is forever. please send to the email address listed in my profile! thank you so very much.

the duchess blue

11. akaa

akaa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, just to be sure before I scan this, take a look at the attached and make sure it's what you are looking for. Sorry, it's a pdf:sad:

Attached Files:

12. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's it but I have the Ultra Pro. Wonder if it makes any difference? Either way I'm appreciative as I bound to learn something about this thing.

-Puma

13. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just typed it into a word processor. I've done a first proof for typos and formatting, but need to work on that a bit more with fresh eyes. The photos in the original aren't that helpful and it's poorly written and inconsistently formatted. I'll try to get a good copy up tomorrow after a second look, and a decision on how much more work I want to put into it, and whether I should edit it a bit for clarity and internal consistency. I should probably leave it in the original state as much as possible, or maybe just post the original and then come back and post an improved edit later when I have the time.

The original is about 2.5 x 3 inches and 31 pages long, so it was faster and easier to type than to scan and assemble. (Typing class in '68 pays off. :smile: )

Lee

14. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike Butkus' site has a Mastersix accessory manual which may solve the problem for you. For me, I'm just incredibly appreciative of Lee (and his typing teacher's?) efforts, as well as akaa's efforts.

15. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, here's the first edit. Not sure if I'll do more. I have a busy schedule the next three weeks. PM me about typos, as I may not catch up with this thread later. It's in .pdf format because I don't do MS proprietary formats, and MS Office purposely screws up open document formats to discourage their use. (Thanks MS for making the world a more difficult and expensive place.)

I stuck with the original except for some of the notation (f/stop vs. f-stop and f:8 instead of f/8). I also added a column of standard density units to the contrast range - paper grade chart in the 'appendix' and didn't correct appendixes to appendices, which should have been singular in the first place. Looks like the contrast table in the appendix got messed up a bit in translation. The '0' (zero) section in the Conventional Paper Grade column should go all the way to the bottom of the Table. I'll see if I can fix that. (done.)

This should get most folks who are familiar with their meter and standard darkroom procedures going.

Lee

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lee:

Thank you!

Matt

17. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're welcome. Happy to help.

Lee

18. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You guys are the apotheosis of awesome! Sincerely I thank you!

Puma